5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to this book
Addicted to anything; ciggies, alcohol, sex, writing reviews on Amazon, reading reviews on Amazon? This is for you.

It's also incredibly interesting just as a good read, my son's not addicted to anything yet, especially not reading or studying, but this is one of his favourite books because it is so interesting and has so much general appeal.

My...
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Help
Published on 27 Aug 2007 by Claire BB

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to this book, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Freedom from Addiction: The Secret Behind Successful Addiction Busting (Human Givens Approach) (Paperback)

My brother read it and had been addicted to cigarettes for over thirty years. One morning, having read the book, he was walking down to the news agent to buy his daily stash of nicotine, and simply turned round half way there, walked home and never had another one...

It's a really helpful and powerful book. I would also highly recommend The Human Givens and Godhead (both by the same authors and both excellent).

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop smoking the easy way?, 28 Jun 2005
I purchased this book primarily to help me stop smoking. After a 1 day read I applied the principles in the book and have not had a cigarette for three weeks. From the moment I chose not to put a cigarette in my mouth I suffered no cravings or side effects (other than the odd very mild one but nothing that wasn't easy to deal with).
The book is amazing in that it takes you through the chemical process behind addiction and reveals the tricks the mind plays to trap one into performing addictive behaviours. The advice contained in the book for defusing the addicitive process and handling cravings is first class.
This book also contains information on human needs and the tools nature has provided one with to meet them. The authors explore these needs in depth and this explanation of the way things are meant to work makes it easiler to see how things go wrong. I fully recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW NOW!!!!!!!!, 5 Aug 2013
GREAT BOOK with some Powerful Insights.

But ALSO PLEASE, PLEASE Read Immediately!! THE END OF MY ADDICTION BY DR.OLIVIER AMEISEN.

This man Dr Olivier Ameisen is an absolute God in my eyes. He should be treated as such, although I suspect he is far too humble to accept any accolade. The book makes for ESSENTIAL reading for ANY alcoholic, possibly addict too.It gives a clear picture of an intelligent man's descent into the madness of alcoholism and his long, often frustrating search not only for his relief from his active alcoholism, but his ongoing time in recovery, fraught with anxiety, depression, secondary addictions and compulsions. The feeling that EVERY alcoholic has...that SOMETHING still isn't right, even though he has stopped drinking and is working or has been through the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous with his Sponsor, and is regularly attending 12 step meetings of A.A or other 12 step programs for other addictions.
DR. AMEISEN...IF YOU READ THIS REVIEW, PLEASE GOD, GET IN TOUCH WITH ME AT briansclark@hotmail.co.uk I WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS FURTHER YOUR INCREDIBLE DISCOVERY WITH A VIEW TO OPENING SOME KIND OF CLINIC TO FURTHER YOUR TREMENDOUS MESSAGE......NOT OUT OF ANY PROFIT MOTIVE WHATSOEVER, BUT A HUMBLE SINCERE DESIRE TO PASS THIS MOMENTOUS DISCOVERY AND HOW TO SAFELY USE IT TO THE BEST ADVANTAGE OF THE SUFFERER. Any other alcoholic/addict can get in touch with me at the same email and I WILL help you. My sincere, sincere hope is that Dr. Ameisen will one day be mentioned in the same breath as Bill Wilson and Dr Bob...co-founders of Alcoholics anonymous, way back in the 1930's.
This is no "Fly By Night Cure" projected by some "cures" such as ANTIBUSE or ACAMPROSATE, this, if monitored correctly in the intial stages along with a little counselling to help you initially detoxify from alcohol, will not only cure your addiction, but WILL give you a quality of life you could NEVER dream of, either in or out of A.A.
I am no idiot. I am a 59 year old chronic alcoholic. I came into A.A. when I was 24. I have re-lapsed on several occasions. But have had LONG periods of sobriety, 10 years +. I have been through the 12 step program with 4 different long term sponsors. I have sponsored other sponsees.
Some CLOSED MINDED "OLD TIMER" A.A's will reject this concept out of sight first off, and rightly so, as we have had all the "CURES" up to our necks with no positive results. This is SO different. I have accessed a LOT of Data on this subject and the Chemical MISSING from the alcoholic/addict is a NATURALLY occurring Chemical produced by the pituitary gland in so called "Normal" people, but sadly missing in alcoholics/addicts. IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED
Please, please read this book. It will be the Biggest favour you can ever do for yourself, your life and your family and friends.
If still needing validation email me and we can meet or talk.
GOD Bless Dr. Olivier Ameisen, I will be forever, humbly indebted to you and I will always remain your humble servant. Brian Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 10 Dec 2005
I never write reviews for books (too lazy). However this book deserves comment. Although I am only half way through this book, I am stunned by the realisations it has given me! so many books promise so much, and then fail to deliver. This book is of an entirely different quality. If you have addiction/compulsive behaviour, do yourself a big favour, buy this book. I always used to believe I could think my way out of my compulsions, how wrong I was. This book give answers........a big thankyou to the authors.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Help, 27 Aug 2007
I read this book two years ago and it told me that the reason I was using drugs was that my needs weren't being met. I tried to do what it suggested to get my needs met but, of course, as an addict my needs are never going to be met. I'll always want more, more, more. So I started feeling very sorry for myself. Then I got into a spiral of self-pity and was soon using drugs and drink more than ever before.

The authors have good intentions but they don't seem to understand addiction. Their theories are just academic. They sound quite reasonable but they don't seem to work. At least they didn't work for me. If anything, their ideas only helped me to stay sick.

Since then, luckily for me, I've found another way to recover that (so far) seems to be working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom from Addiction: The Secret Behind Successful Addiction Busting, 19 Nov 2006
>This is a really original book that helped me and my friend in many

>ways. I never realised before WHY people get addicted to stuff so

>easily. The books worth buying for the explanation it gives of this

> alone! It was the starting point for my own recovery and taking

>back control of my life. It shows how to do something about it and

>it really is easier than I would ever have thought possible when I

>was down in it. If you suffer from addiction, this book shows you

>that there is a way out and it is not so difficult as the reviewer

>who gave it only one star seems to think. I give it five because

>it saved my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book along with proffesional help saved my life, 26 Nov 2009
Mr. Duncan M. J. Ward (UK) - See all my reviews
I read this book whilst in Gordon House a residential Rehab in the UK, without any question this book if you want freedom will help you find it....

It may not answer your questions as to why, but its thought provoking.. well worth the money, hence why after being clean for 4 years |Ive decided to buy a copy.Freedom from Addiction: The Secret Behind Successful Addiction Busting (Human Givens Approach)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 April 2014
This book was recommended by my college and it is excellent. Very clear to understand and easy to read. Ive read many addiction books for my studies but return to this one frequently

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 31 Dec 2013
Easy to read. But to be honest, after reading I don't remember much. Good for someone who has not read books on addictions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictions well covered., 10 Nov 2013
This book is a good in-depth approach to addictions and gives much food for thought, including current therapies and helping strategies.

ARRAY(0xae2fdde0)