5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 21 Dec 2009 by A. Morrice

2.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm not sure.....
Published on 7 Mar 2006 by Michelle Hampton

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Dec 2009
A. Morrice (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to lift depression ...Fast (The Human Givens Approach) (Paperback)
This is an excellent book. I have read many books on depression having suffered from it for around 10 years, and most of what I've read empathized with the sufferer but often left me wondering what I could do when the experience of depression appeared. This book answered that for the. Simply written and practical to use - a first for books on depression I would say. I was really impressed on the section on sleep, the importance of it and the purpose of dreaming. I also found the 'Human Givens' part amazing. Again I never had 'needs' explained in such a useful way. I would say within 24 hours of reading this I felt better and have continued to since. I can honestly say for the first time I feel in control of my depression. I never normally write reviews but I felt compelled to such was - and is the impact of this book on my depression. Thank you for writing this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm not sure....., 7 Mar 2006
Michelle Hampton (UK) - See all my reviews
When I began reading this book I was really positive about it - the sleep stuff was new and interesting to me. Soon though, the ideas about retraining your thought processes and patterns of behaviour became like exhausting demands. When I'm really deep down in depression I already feel inadequate and extremely guilty and not being able to do the stuff the book suggests only served to reinforce that.
It's like I KNOW I SHOULD be trying to get out more, do more exercise, change thought patterns etc but if I can barely lift my head off the sofa I'm not sure how to do those things!!! And now I'm beating myself up even more for failing at that too.
I've found it vital to surviving depression to let go, listen to your body, be gentle with yourself and trust that the storm will pass. If you're absolutely at rock bottom I'd recommend Gwyneth Lewis' 'Sunbathing in the Rain'.
I'm going to re-read this book when I'm through this storm as I think the ideas are valid - just inappropriate at this time as I think a certain amount of strength, emotional and physical,is needed, which is not always a resource I have in my darkest times.
I would say, however, that different things work for different people. If solution based stuff helps you through depression then go for it. But if you're someone who's brain won't quieten, who needs to simply to begin to validate feelings that you've either not allowed yourself to have or have spent years undermining then there are better books than this for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best self-help for depression, 26 Dec 2004
As A GP I see many people suffering from depression, and have searched for many years for a good book to recommend to them. At last I have found one. This book draws together the most effective methods from many different approaches to treatment, yet is written in an style which makes the ideas easy to understand and put into practice. I believe that the 'Human Givens' approach detailed in this book is a major step forward in helping people suffering from depression and other mental health problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last! insightful and very very helpful, 31 Mar 2005
I have suffered from depression on and off for some years and i have read much on the subject. I am also very critical about the way it is treated and what information is generally provided for sufferers. It is very easy to become swamped with unhelpful advice and psychobabble.
This book cuts through alot of the unneccessary information about the condition and dispels some of the awful myths. At last some concrete practical advice. This book offers some real solutions and insight to depression and i'm sure like myself it will put you well on the road to recovery.
I can't recommend this book enough. If you are suffering from depression or you are caring or treating anyone with this condition i'm sure this book will be indispensible. I have spent alot of money and time researching depression and i can say this is without doubt the best book i have read on the subject.
I urge you to buy it.
Best regards, Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars How To Lift Depression...Fast, 13 Mar 2006
This is an astonishingly good book. It is the first time I have read a clear description of why people get depressed and why it is so exhausting. It really has an original new explanation that makes perfect sense to me. Also the authors have managed to provide clear guidelines for getting out of depression that go way beyond the usual CBT approach and will help almost anyone, (although, if you are deeply depressed, they acknowledge it is easier to do this with help from someone who understands what is needed because the strong emotions they are experiencing stop depressed people from being able to concentrate enough to read the book and take in the information). I love their matter of fact description of the type of counselling that can help depressed people and the kind that makes depression worse. Spot on in my experience!
Should be made compulsory reading for GPs and counsellors in my opinion. Human givens therapy on the NHS, that would be progress!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to lift depression ...Fast (The Human Givens Approach), 14 Aug 2005
By A Customer
PLEASE PLEASE read this book if you have depression or buy it for yourself if someone close to you has depression. Depression is extremely nasty - extremely disabling and amazingly powerful - and, to conquer it, you need enabling and powerful information.
Having previously suffered major clinical reactive depression for 2 years, this book has revolutionised my view of how depression takes hold, how ones' thought patterns help to perpetuate the depression and, most importantly, how developing new thought patterns can ensure that the depression goes - quickly - and doesn't ever come back !
I am evangelical about the advice and theories provided by this 'Human Givens' approach and honestly believe that reading this book can do only good for anyone wanting to escape depression - and escape it for good.
I hope this review helps to guide your purchase and that the content of this book helps you as much as it has helped me. Read, become happy & enjoy the rest of your wonderful life .....

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read and understand, 6 Nov 2010
Juliet Hill (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This book presents its ideas in an easily readable format in 3 sections: what is it? what can you do about it? and case studies. Useful both as a self-help book and for counsellors to give worthwhile exercises to their clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good starting point, 28 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This book gave me a taster of how to lift my persistantly annoying depression. It's really easy to read with fantastic tips and explanations.
They talk about how depressed people wake up eeling so tired because they have been having lots of REM sleep and not enough restorative sleep because of unresolved emotional issues. such a simple explanation for a typical symtom of being depressed. A few easy adjustments to my life (relaxation and exercise) and sleep is much better and wake up feeling refreshed (that's in 2 weeks)
Takes a day to read this book even if you have trouble concentrating. A worthwhile investment for anyone who has, is caring for, or just has an interest in treating deprssion

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little one sided, 3 Mar 2007
I work with depressed people on a day to day basis and, on the whole I found this book extremely good. It is full of useful strategies and a down to earth approach. A lot of it is common sense

However, I feel the authors are a little narrow minded in their, almost evangelical opposition to the medical treatment of depression. SSRI anidepressants have helped, and continue to help many thousands of people to live 'normal' lives when they were previously in the grip of despair. Yes, they treat the symptoms, rather than the cause of depression but this book seems to suggest to people that they should be shunned at all costs, in favour of therapy. A dangerous and narrow minded view in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Grateful for this Book, 22 Sep 2011
Mrs. Sd Tremlett "suet" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This book explained the process of how we (I) depress and gave me strategies to fight back. I have bought copies to give to others, I really cannot say how grateful I am for the insights it gave me.

How to lift depression ...Fast  (The Human Givens Approach)
How to lift depression ...Fast (The Human Givens Approach) by Ivan Tyrrell (Paperback - 29 Oct 2004)