on 18 September 2010
This book provides an insight into the world of a child with classic autism.
It is very useful in simplifying things for the neuro typical child who has a sibling with the condition and finds it hard to understand them.
Not suitable for the child whose brother or sister is on the higher end of the spectrum e.g. Asperger's Syndrome.
VINE VOICEon 19 September 2007
This book is wonderful. The text is clear and simple and the pictures are delightful. My friends little girl was talking to her mum about my child and couldn't understand why she got told off but he didn't. I simply handed this book to my friend and once her daughter read it she said "I understand now". This book could apply to a child with speech and communication difficulties not just autistic children. It really is a great book to own and extremely useful when trying to explain what life is like for a child with S & L difficulties.
on 19 September 2011
I bought this book on the recommendations of those on this site. My son has Autism, but does not bite his sister, need to be contained in a pushchair, or need to wear a nappy. I am sure this book would be perfect for families with a severely autistic child, but for those of us whose children are not so severe, it simply served to upset and confuse when the aim was better understanding.
on 6 February 2007
This was one of the best books i could have brought for my twin daughter Kylie, her twin brother was diognosed with severe autism at aged 3 they are both now 8 and Thomas is still non verbal, she read it cover to cover it has lovley pictures and very easy to read and understand sentences all the way through, i would recommend to anyone
on 14 April 2010
A simple but clear book for children with autistic siblings, aimed I would think at the primary age group and younger. It has clear pictures and simple but clear writing aimed at helping young children understand that some siblings are different. It would have been useful to know that the autistic sibling was younger in the book as the child I bought it for has an older autistic sibling but a good buy none the less.
on 26 February 2009
Brilliant book for helping young children to understand their sibling's autism and "different" behaviour. Wish I had bought it sooner!
on 19 January 2011
This is a great book. The language is simple without being condescending, the illustrations are attractive and the difficulties are clearly explained.

What I particularly liked is the way it gives clear examples of problem behaviour and then explains why they occur, without just resorting to the simplistic non-response of 'He does it because he's autistic'. My son recognised his brother on almost every page and definitely felt relieved to learn that he wasn't the only one who lived with the issue of having a brother on the autism spectrum.

A book to read, re-read and reassure. Five stars. Can you bring one out for adults too please, that I can give to people on the bus or in the supermarket queue?
on 21 May 2008
I read this book and by the end i had tears in my eyes. My son has ASD and I brought it so his sisters could read it and learn to understand him a little more. The text is simple but full of emotion and the drawings of the boy are lovely.I would recommend this to anyone.
on 13 February 2010
I love this book. It is very straightforward and honest. My friend's daughter was having a hard time understanding why her sister behaved so differently but was not told off the way she would be and as she got older she was very protective of her sister and couldn't understand why other people were so disapproving of her sister. This book is quite matter of fact and is a lovely resource to use with children and by children to help explain that it is okay to be different and to make allowances. I would encourage its use for nursery and lower primary age children. Every page strikes a familiar note.
on 8 May 2012
I found this book very useful to help our daughter to understand why her brother is different and have also lent it to friends to read with their children before we have taken our son to their house to visit. As well as explaining in very simple terms what some of the things that he does differently are, it also gives a list of positive things that the child can do to help the child with autism. It opened up discussion as my daughter and I thought of examples of when her brother has acted in some of the ways listed in the book and how this made us feel. It gave us a great opportunity to discuss his impact on her and raised our awarerness of the things that bother her and the things that don't. A great little book, definitely recommend to people with younger children (my daughter is 5 and her brother with autism is 4)