4.0 out of 5 stars Close to Home
Like the reviewer below I'm a doctor and the vast majority of what Vernon Coleman says is painfully true. When I first saw it on the coffee table at work I got cross - knee jerk reaction - then started reading. I found myself nodding in agreement.

I've met plenty of narrow-minded doctors, some who are simply unable to think after too many years of...
Published on 7 Jun 2007 by Dr. J. Foxlee

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Advice in Parts, but Many Misleading Generalizations
I humbly admit that I am a doctor myself. My familiarity with the profession led me to purchase this book simply to see what the author had to say. In my opinion, there are useful points of advice to patients regarding how to better deal with medical establishment. But, also in my opinion, many of the generalizations he makes simply are generalizations, which...
Published on 23 Feb 2006 by J. D. Stevenson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsubstantiated rubbish, 30 Aug 2005
This review is from: How to Stop Your Doctor Killing You (Paperback)
I was looking for a book that would help me deal with a fraught relationship between a hospital consultant and my father whom he was treating in what I considered a fairly inept manner so the title of the book was enough for me to pay good money in the hope I would gain some insight and provide some comfort if only to myself. This book is written in a journalistic style without any referencing of material so statements and allegations could have been sourced from the web, from the author's mind, tabloid or from a peer reviewed publication. You don't know. It's judgemental in that it assumes everyone working in healthcare or the pharmaceutical world lacks any compassion or regard for the patient which is an unfair bias view and adds to a lack of credibility of the author. He assumes a posture that only he has genuine regard when in fact I felt he had written the book as he had some bills to pay. In fact I had the feeling the author had written each chapter in set timeframes (ie. before lunch) which was the reason he was apt to go into a rant as a way of concluding each chapter. The ranting is a bluff for a lack of any genuine hypothesis. This is a shame as this is an area of valuable discussion but not in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Sep 2014
Good read

2.0 out of 5 stars Does more harm than good, 12 May 2008
J. E. Boyd "RPG fan" (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Stop Your Doctor Killing You (Paperback)
I work for a charity whose aim is to improve the NHS by advocating the changes wanted by recent patients in all the diverse NHS services. I did not like this book and feel that it would do far more harm than good. While I am sure that Vernon Coleman's book can make some people feel empowered when dealing with the medical profession, little recent data is presented and the paranoia of the author is grating. What good is trying to dominate your GP by putting your handbag right in front of where he sits? It certainly isn't going to make him more sympathetic to you! If you are trying to intimidate him, why not just pee in the corners of his office?

I've trained doctors in treating patients like people first and case studies second, and I can genuinely say that every doctor I've met went into that profession to help people. Don't kid yourself that they are evil puppets of the pharmaceutical industry - if you want to be treated like a person rather than a patient by your doctor, then treat them as a person too! This book uses the 'straw man' arguement to suggest all medicine is out to get you - just don't bother!

4.0 out of 5 stars buying books from Amazon, 18 April 2013
This review is from: How to Stop Your Doctor Killing You (Paperback)
Last time i purchased a copy of this book from amazon it was plain sailing! This time it took me a number of atempts,which was sorted by another company and eventualy Amazon. Considering the fact that I purchase a large of number of books from them I cannot complain too much. I am used to first class next day service.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How to Stop Your Doctor Killing You
How to Stop Your Doctor Killing You by Vernon Coleman (Paperback - 11 Sep 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01