5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on Shetland there is
Published on 12 Nov 2007 by Owen McNally

2.0 out of 5 stars Read this before you buy
I bought this book with great expectations, and I must say that I wasn't impressed. First the good news: the book is well organised, itineraries are well planned and the time value approach is an innovative idea.

Published on 28 Jun 2007 by StrayDog

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on Shetland there is, 12 Nov 2007
Owen McNally (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland (Paperback)
I agree with the previous reviewer. This is a well researched book and the time value attributed to each site is unique. As for the rest, well no. This is an excellent book on a Scottish island; islands which are often superficially dealt with in other guidebooks. Having travelled to a lot of Scottish islands I am frequently amazed at the lack of detailed coverage for the tourist. This book is the exception. The book rightly focuses on the important things - the sights - not the places to stay or eat. Recommendations for these are in any case very personal. I've followed recommendations before for hotels and restaurants and have been disappointed.
This is an excellent INDEPENDENT guidebook, not part of any series. It offers a good mix of narrative,photos, maps and opinions. This book took me to places that others don't even mention - to Muckle Roe, to Fethaland and to Lunda Wick on Unst where I saw an otter. A must for any visitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet eat your heart out!, 28 Jun 2003
Andrew Kerr (Swindon, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland (Paperback)
Lonely Planet and Rough Guide eat your heart out!
The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland is fantastic guide to Shetland. The maps/guides/directions are clearly and succinctly written and proved to be an excellent guide to how to get the most out of our Shetland Holiday.
Robin Holmes writing style is clear and vivid, the way he described the walk on Muckle Roe really brought the sandstone cliffs and outstanding coastal scenery to life.
This is a superb book.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are planning a trip to Shetland - THIS IS THE ONE!, 16 Jun 2003
D Poskitt (West Linton, Peeblesshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland (Paperback)
I am planning a trip to Shetland, and wish to get the most from my visit. This guidebook is well designed and has done all the planning work for you - a real bonus for busy people. I particularly liked the suggested mini itineraries with timescales, this will be very helpful in assessing how much ground can be covered within a set timeframe.
I choose this book not only for the planning content, but for the way it was written by the author, you gain a real sense of his enthusisam and passion for Shetland, it jumps of the page, there is also honesty and humour, very important in deciding what to include/exclude in a trip.
The '5 Stars' test for me of an excellent guide book is, if it educates me, so that I have a feel for the country, its history and its people. I learn something new about the country I am about to visit. It leaves me with an enhanced air anticipation/excitment on my impending trip. This book does all this and much more.
I am sure Shetland will get even more visitors as a result of this excellent guide book - I am now really looking forward to my trip.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read this before you buy, 28 Jun 2007
StrayDog (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland (Paperback)

On the down side are its price, which is not the cheapest, the fact that it shows no practical info like 'where to stay' and 'where to eat', the quality of its binding, which fell apart on day 2... (low quality glue, it seems), and the lack of a basic map (lots of tiny maps are used throughout the book).

In regards to the rational approach used in the book, it does help to create customised itineraries, but the lack of a proper narrative doesn't tempt the user to learn about the place himself so that he can make up his own itineraries.

This said, I don't want to be too negative, there is obviously a lot of research work done in the book, so it is well worth considering, just don't hope on getting info on where to stay...

On another note, in the local tourist office in Lerwick (Shetland), we found the local Shetland Tourist Board magazine which has lots of info about the individual places in Shetland. This can replace a guidebook in this respect. There is also another magazine listing quite a few B&Bs.

Finally some more feedback for the author: it would help if at the top of the pages it was indicated the chapter the page is referring to. It would help readers finding its way around it.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars If there is a better guide to Shetland I would like to see it, 27 Jun 2014
V. M. Shilton "Bessie's mum" (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland (Paperback)
This is the ideal guide to Shetland. It is comprehensive and informative. Of course it advises as to the many points of interest in Shetland, but it is much more than that. I especially like the recommendations as to what to do based on how long you are staying in the islands. There are also ideas for walks with a guide as to how long they are likely to take. If you're visiting Shetland you would be daft not to get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Holiday Companion!, 20 Jun 2003
Andrew Kerr (Swindon, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland (Paperback)
Lonely Planet Eat Your Heart Out!
The passion with which this is written, backed up by the thoroughness of the support information - Maps/Directions/Guides/Photos etc. makes this book a must buy.
The book's description of the walk on Muckle Roe on page 50, is so true to life. A great experience and a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that does exactly what it says on the tin!, 12 Nov 2007
LW (Co Meath, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland (Paperback)
The Holiday Planning Guide does just that - it allows you to plan your holiday in Shetland to suit your own needs. The author has obviously invested a great deal of time and effort into reaseaching this book which is particularly beneficial to those who don't have time to search for things to do in advance visiting the islands. A worthwhile investment of a travel guide which can be used time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched / accurate / easy-to-read book, 4 Jun 2003
J J Kelly (Larbert, Stirlingshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland (Paperback)
I found this book a very welcome companion on my tour of the Shetlands. The day and even 1/2 day guides are extremely useful, and surprisingly accurate.
It was clear from the early chapters that Mr Holmes has when to great lengths to ensure the details and factual information are as accurate and definative as possible.
I found this book easy to read, with well-defined maps and directions.
All in all an extremely useful book, and is great value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Aug 2014
Excellent book very informative

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 9 May 2011
A. P. Kirby (Windermere, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland (Paperback)
Not a particularly inspired book but a very useful planner. It wouldn't make me want to go to Shetland but as that decision was already made it was helpful as a reference for places to go and things to see.

The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland
The Holiday Planning Guide to Shetland by Robin Holmes (Paperback - 14 July 2003)
14.99