on 4 May 2004
This was an excellent buy.
The routes are well documented, the rating system seems to be accurate. The descriptions of the ride help you to know what it will be like.
My husband is an experienced cyclist and although I am a regular cyclist, I'm rather less energetic. This book contained rides that suited both of us (I could keep up with him). We did the rides that were rated easy with not too many hills.
We had a very pleasant weekend cycling in the New Forest and would not have enjoyed ourselves half so much with out this book.
on 24 February 2013
The routes are great - but the maps are very unclear and without an OS map we would have got lost. It was frustrating as we had to keep getting off our bikes to check the route. Each time it took a few minutes to do so. My husband is a geographer and regularly does orienteering. There are clearly marked route posts all over the forest, if only the author had made reference to these, then it would have been 5 star. We will ditch this book and go to the forest centre and buy their own route maps, that use the posts as markers.
on 12 June 2009
A really good guide that allows you to join routes together to make it as long and challenging as you want. The maps are a bit poor at times though so bring along an OS or forest map just in case!
on 24 January 2016
There are 30 routes provided, each with good written directions and a hand-drawn map. The maps aren't always accurate, with plenty of mistakes like Hampton Bridge instead of Hampton Ridge, and saying turn 'beyond' instead of 'before', but with the aid of an OS map it's possible to keep to the routes. Route lengths are inaccurate too. Not really a mountain bike guide at all, since most routes are a lot more than 60% road based and 3 routes are entirely road! I appreciate that it's usually necessary to link sections of track with the road network, but this has the balance all wrong.
on 8 February 2013
I bought this along with Hampshire and Isle of Wight cycle tours. They are similar guides, but take different formats. This one has hand drawn route charts which I found less easy to follow then the OS map charts in the other book. That said, the routes we've tried work well, and get you around some superb countryside that you might not otherwise find. I'd recommend that you have both this guide and an OS map with you so that you can double check your route as you go. The routes are quite testing, however each one has a handy guide to show you how tough it will be.
on 20 April 2013
I was hoping this 'mountain bike guide' would provide some guidance on good off-road routes. I think all routes in this book are partly on the road.

Also, the maps are exceedingly poor, they look like hand drawn diagrams.

I would not recommend this book to anyone.
on 2 March 2015
Good book lots of good rides