Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 October 2014
This little book is not much more than a pamphlet. The history behind the buttons was interesting, but I really bought this to learn how to make the buttons. I was disappointed by the 'how-to' text. I salute the author for taking the trouble to research this book but if only a good illustrator had got involved as well!

Some beautiful, multi-coloured, contemporary buttons are shown, but no more than very basic instructions are given and the diagrams are minimal. I've found better instructions for free on the 'net.

I particularly wanted to have a go at a Dorset Knob but I'm finding the text pretty incomprehensible - and I consider myself experienced at making all sorts of complex needlecrafty things. A decent picture or two would have made all the difference.
on 3 June 2013
The book is great as far as it goes, but I think further research has been done on some of the different types of button since it was published. However, the history and instructions for making buttons where given are very good and clear. Would recommend it.
on 17 June 2013
I bought this book with a vague idea of copying a brooch I has that was based on a dorset button, but this is so much more thsn I had imagined. Anyone interested in sewing , knitting or just crafts in general would find this book of interest as it gives history and background as well as instructions on making several varieties of buttons. well pleased with it.
on 8 September 2015
I was given this book as a birthday gift, which was very thoughtful of my friend.
It has some pretty pictures in it, hence the one star rating.
As an actual book, though, it deserves no stars at all. The instructions for 'how to' are sparse and in addition barely comprehensible, the so-called 'history' contains gross inaccuracies, anecdotes which are widely recognised as having not a shred of evidence behind them, and several important, well-researched *and interesting* matters are omitted entirely.

Honestly, this book is little more than puffery for the author's button business. It would be far more appropriate as a pamphlet enclosed in a cellophane bag with a few rings, some thread and a darning needle, and sold in a Dorset Visitor Centre or tourist attraction for a fiver as a make-it-yourself souvenir of your Dorset holiday, no more.

I suppose the other reason I've given it one ill-deserved star is that its feebleness prompted me to search on the web for more comprehensive, comprehensible instructions and I've now made some gorgeous, unique buttons which cost me almost nothing!
on 21 October 2014
This appears to be a BIG plug for Thelma's work and her button shop, with hardly any pattens for making the buttons (which can be obtained from another person called Marion Howitt via www.dorsetbuttons.co.uk). The 'look inside' facility doesn't show the percentage of book devoted to pattens. Thelma writes in the 3rd person which is annoying (why doesn't she say 'I did this or that' and at one point implies she is responsible for the People's Republic of China making jackets for Tesco in UK with Dorset Buttons on some time after her visit to China. A lot of repetition in text and whilst some may find it interesting, I don't need to read about a song or poem someone wrote inspired by the Old Button Shop. If you actually want to make a Dorset Button, this is not the book for you, and take some of the history with a pinch of salt (reference to Charles First may not be accurate according to other Buttony experts).
on 18 June 2014
A very interesting read. I purchased the book after doing a class at my local knitting shop. I would recommend this book if anyone wants to learn about these lovely buttons
on 23 March 2014
I wanted to learn how to make buttons and enjoyed reading this book which also includes the history, as well as illustrating how to make hand made buttons.
on 20 October 2014
this makes travelling with relations down in dorset more interesting especially when looking down the Hovis Hill.
on 18 August 2014
have just learnt this lovley craft broken wrist at the moment 3weeks to go then back to craft
on 24 October 2015
well illustrated and useful source for Dorset button making techniques.