4.0 out of 5 stars great value for money
Published on 10 April 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect
Nothing new in this book. In fact, much if not all can be found on the internet free of charge. In my opinion, not worth the money.
Published 4 months ago by Monica

4.0 out of 5 stars great value for money, 10 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: A Vegan Taste of the Middle East (Vegan Cookbooks) (Paperback)
This is a good no-frills book. There are a wide variety of recipes and rather than providing substitutes for meat or dairy she has found examples of genuine vegan cuisine. I like this series as it gets away from the brown rice and nut roast image of veganism and looks to cuisines where there is a huge amount of vegan food on offer. I've made around 10 of the recipes and they've all been good, though I found I needed to add more seasoning than recommended in the recipes, but that's a minor point. Personally I would rather pay a bit more and have a glossier book with photos - this one is very cheap and cheerful looking, but well worth the money if you're looking for inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, solid vegan cookbook, 27 April 2013
I bought several vegan cookbooks by Linda Majzlik and started trying out several recipes of this one first.
I really like the fact that there are so many recipes, and that there are different types, from starters to drinks.
It's a pity that there are no pictures or photos, but this would obviously not have been possible at such a low price. The book is also lacking an index where you can look up the recipes by their ingredients.
The recipes aren't incredibly difficult, but some of them are complex, not necessarily suitable for beginners, because they contain several steps, and one I tried for example asked for skinned tomatoes without explaining how the skinning is done.
The recipes do not rely heavily on "substitution products", but some ask for tvp, vegan cheese or yogurt.
The most used vegetables seem to be red pepper, eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes.
Important for people with allergies: Many recipes contain nuts.
Although I could not say that the things I've tried out were incredibly delicious, they were all healthy and tasty, solid everyday dishes that will probably make it into my recipe collection and will be cooked again.
All in all it's a nice and solid little vegan cookbook.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect, 20 May 2014
Monica "Monica" (Qatar, Middle East) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars love, 31 Dec 2011
Thank you all for sending me A Vegan Taste of the Middle East,
wow !! the recipes in this book are fab I just know that I'm going to put on
a lot of weight,so again thank you for your excellent service xx

A Vegan Taste of the Middle East (Vegan Cookbooks)
A Vegan Taste of the Middle East (Vegan Cookbooks) by Linda Majzlik (Paperback - 19 Nov 2002)