4.0 out of 5 stars definitely a cookbook I wouldn't be without
Published on 25 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I'd hoped for...
Published on 28 Dec 2009 by Amy

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely a cookbook I wouldn't be without, 25 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook) (Paperback)
Not having cooked real Italian before, I bought this book. It's definitely proved it's weight in gold for me, I haven't stopped trying these recipes and may well have found a cookbook whereby I only miss a tiny percentage to try. I have found all ingredients easily available, every recipe has turned out delicious and a must make again. Some do take some time, such as stuffing cannelloni. However, I found freezing half (for two servings) gave me a bonus. I'd say a great book worth having, delicious food for every day eating and a pleasure for guests.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Vegan Taste Of Italy, 27 Mar 2006
This review is from: A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook) (Paperback)
A very well written book, I already have several other titles in the series and I knew I could rely upon this one. The recipes are all clearly set out in a no nonsense way, easy to understand and each providing a mouth watering vegan meal. Of course there are certain substitute foods, vegan cheese instead of real mozzarella , but this is all part of being vegan! I am very pleased with my copy, overall the whole series offers a broad taste of vegan receipes. Give them a chance, although the books are not lavished with seductive glossy photographs of food,the descriptions are enough to excite the taste buds and provoke the imagination! Get cooking!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I'd hoped for..., 28 Dec 2009
This review is from: A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook) (Paperback)
I received this book a couple of days ago & have been reading through it...I'd hoped for good, proper recipes from Italy which utilised fresh, natural ingredients...instead, at a glance, it seems like around half the recipes call for "Vegan parmesan", "Vegan Mozzarella," etc. I was interested in this book as a vegetarian with food allergies (wheat, milk, and soy amongst them), so a book which depends on soy-based "vegan" cheeses isn't of any use to me as I can't eat the real or substitue versions. I'm perfectly capable of looking at a traditional recipe and tailoring it to suit my special dietary needs; I don't need a cookbook to do that for me, nor, do I suspect, do many others who might be interested in a Vegan Italian cookbook.

The fact is that the heavy reliance on fake foods in this cookbook has rather put me off of the other "Vegan Taste Of" series... And I feel badly for the friend who got it for me for Christmas from my wish list... I'm still debating whether I should keep it or send it back. Had I bought it for myself, it'd be going back no question.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vegan World's own Delia Smith., 31 Oct 2009
M. Ross "Jupiterray" (Nottingham, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook) (Paperback)
Before becoming Vegan I added to my basic cooking skills learnt from my mother by investing in a copy of 'Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course'. A good, solid, if not somewhat stolid, basic and thorough grounding in cooking essentials. Critics may sneer at her and she has herself caused irreparable damage to her reputation by her recent unsavoury and ill-judged efforts. Nonetheless for any teenager leaving home a copy of her 'Complete Cookery Course is essential for a beginner to learn the basics in a simple and well instructed way - be they vegan, vegetarian or omnivore. This is the cornerstone for a novice cook.

For those about to venture into the exciting and exhilarating sphere of Vegan cookery the complete series of Linda Majzlik are the next step to take in obtaining a good grounding in baking, dinner parties and her wonderful world-straddling series of international cookbooks. These are not haute cuisine or cordon vert. Her books are excellent basic and thorough guides to myriad world vegan recipes. The recipes are simple and easy to follow. The Glossary in each edition gives you all the information you need for your shopping list. In working your way through the recipes, (and you will almost certainly want to try the majority of them - which isn't the case with many cookbooks be they vegan, veggie or omnivore)you will gain a good understanding of each nation or geographical area through the food they produce, what they cook and how they cook it. Many, many recipes will become instant favourites and will be easy to recall from memory as the ingredient lists are sensible. Like Delia Smith, Linda Majzlik produces well-flavoured dishes, a reasonable amount of ingredients needed in each dish and simple and straightforward cooking instructions.

The only drawback is the lack of photos of the dishes but the low price of each book compensates for that. These are excellent introductions to increasing your cooking skills, your repertoire of food from many cultures and inspires you to take the next step to the glossy, hard-back, fully illustrated expensive tomes to display on your coffee-table. You can only hope that they give you as much pleasure and inspiration as Linda's collection. Buy with confidence - you won't stop at a single volume although unlike the crass children's game you don't have to collect them all but you probably will. I envy you the discoveries you have to look forward to. Eat well. Enjoy life. Be nice to each other.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inauthentic and disappointing, 26 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook) (Paperback)
I bought this book based on positive reviews and was disappointed.
Like all food, vegan food should be about celebrating quality ingredients. Unfortunately, this book uses horrible processed foods like 'fake' parmesan cheese, which is revolting stuff. To be blunt, using processed dairy or meat substitutes is an insult to italian food, with its emphasis on freshness and resourcefulness.
Much better results can be achieved with good mediterranean vegetables, pasta, mushrooms, nuts, oils etc. Many classic italian dishes can be easily made vegan anyway - e.g. most pasta sauces, breads, risotto, bean and pasta stews, pizza (not all pizzas need cheese) etc.
I would recommend 'Truly Italian' by Ursula Ferrigno instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something a bit different, 9 Dec 2008
C. Roberts "cookingforvegans" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook) (Paperback)
I liked this book because there are quite a lot of recipe ideas and ingredient combinations I hadn't come across before, it's not just more of the same old stuff you see everywhere else with vegetarian Italian recipes (pasta and tomato sauce variations anyone??). The design and lack of pictures don't really appeal to me, but once I'd got hold of a copy I found the content made up for it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Jun 2012
Dr. Robert J. George (Elgin, Moray) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook) (Paperback)
The recipes in this book are over reliant on vegan 'mozzarella' and 'parmesan' which frankly don't taste that good. I'm sure there are vegan dishes in Italy which could have been brought out without using ersatzt items to attempt to produce a shoddy replica of a non vegan dish.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome book, 11 May 2010
Mrs. LH Scott Thompson (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook) (Paperback)
really impressed with this one, lots of useful recipes which i cant wait to try added to my favourites of the greece and middle east book

A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook)
A Vegan Taste of Italy (Vegan Cookbook) by Linda Majzlik (Paperback - 29 Jun 2001)