5.0 out of 5 stars More magical Moominalia!, 26 Nov 2007
This review is from: Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip Book: Bk. 2 (Hardcover)
This is another collection of hilarious, bizarre, fascinating and unique picture-strips and it is entirely worthy as a companion to book 1.

Such riches here, but to tell all would be to spoil. But how can I not mention the masterly linework, the intrisic design, the delicacy of the lunacy, the understated wit: all brought to life through the usual favourites - Moominmamma, dignified in disaster (and delightfully eccentric in her approach to housework), befuddled Moominpappa , the Mymble and her multitudinous kiddies, Fillyjonks, Misabel and of course spiteful Little My?

Herein, Moomintroll builds a house with the aid (???) of the Snork Maiden,
The Moomins resist hibernation and pine needles to embrace winter - a story that's a little reminiscent of Moominland Midwinter (the full length chapter book), and Moominmamma considers hiring a maid and...and...

but enough!!!! Buy this fabulous book, beautifully presented, like book 1, by Drawn and Quarterly. Inside are delights and whimsy I have barely hinted at. More though, for within the pages is the touch of genius, a world that by itself stands true and in it's distracted madness reflects our own all too clearly.

Tove Jansson had a rare talent. Who has never met a Fillyjonk or a Hemulen or a Misabel? I know I've met several. I wonder if they would recognise themselves in this book? Take a look and see if you are in there too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moominmania!, 15 May 2009
This was bought for me for my (30th!) birthday as I'd always loved them as a kid. I was a bit weary at first of approaching anything by Tove Jannson as an adult in case it was never the same but needn't have worried- this collection of comic-strip tales are wonderful! I devoured it in two evenings and am impressed at how well they work, both as children's narratives but also shrewd insights into the way people can and do behave done in Jannson's wonderfully simple, wry, whimsical way. The illustrations are gorgeous! they provide not only a little view back into 1953-1960 when they were originally published but also a wonderful mindset. A few of them I'd love to have blown up into posters- especially the very last frame: 'It isn't easy. Life I mean.' says Moominpapa, and the Snork Maiden replies: 'Perhaps it isn't...but it is full of variety.' Brilliant stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mooins are awesome. A must for Moomin fans, 3 July 2014
Pamela Drysdale (scotland) - See all my reviews
Mooins are awesome. A must for Moomin fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood, 19 Feb 2014
These books we're read to me when I was a baby and then on I really enjoyed then now I am slowly buying the. Books in these hard back. Worth the price of it the books are so nice they feel great . Good book for children to read to the story's good. Hope this helps

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 9 Jan 2014
Exactly as described- very happy with my purchase! Thank you. Will continue buying so I can own the whole serie

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful collection, 26 May 2013
S. L. Martins (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
My eleven year old daughter was given Book 1 of this collection for Christmas and she is now collecting the rest. No one in my family had read Moomin before but we have all fallen in love with the beautiful illustrations and quirky stories. This particular collection is a nice, sturdy hardback with an attractive binding and a tactile cover that feels like fabric. A great present for fans and newcomers alike, young or old.

5.0 out of 5 stars All time great comic strip, 25 Mar 2013
Jansson was a great Artist, writer and original human being - I've been a fan since I was 6 and this beautifully presented collection does her proud and gives me joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 23 Jan 2013
Volume two of six and a great edition - looking forward to reading number three! Usual Tove Jannson quality, very happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 14 Jun 2012
Moomin is an incredible book! Dont miss it!!! As in Asterix, they offer two lectures, one for children and other for adults. Fantastic!!!! After reading this book I bougth all moomin's books here in Amazon. Thank you Amazon for selling this gems!!

4.0 out of 5 stars For die hard Moomin or Tove Jansson fans only., 26 July 2009
A. D. Mcgrath - See all my reviews
The book itself is absolutely beautiful in appearance. And is solidly bound in a hard cover with fabric covered spine.
And the cartoon artwork itself is typically Tove Jansson and also very attractive and stylish.
However, the story lines and plots differ from the animated version and lack vigour and punch. They certainly don't flow any where near as freely as other cartoon stories.
I would say this book series is really only for die hard Tove Jansson and Moomin fans and not all that orientated for younger kids.
If you're expecting a cartoon version of the animated series then you'll be disappointed.
Otherwise, it's brilliant.

Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip Book: Bk. 2
Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip Book: Bk. 2 by Tove Jansson (Hardcover - 31 Oct 2007)
10.39