5.0 out of 5 stars Finally an overview of UK comic creators....done right!, 7 Jan 2005
This review is from: True Brit: A Celebration of the Great Comic Book Artists of the UK (Paperback)
It's been a long time coming and we must thank George Khoury (USA) for chiding us UK comic lovers into action! The UK comic scene was always derided by its citizens as 'juvenile', and the late Denis Gifford's work didn't help dispel this simplistic notion. This marvellous book give us a panoramic selection of creators ranging from the Generation X stars back to the artists we Baby Boomers love/d, with plenty of human stories! There's not enough on Embleton or Hampson but thankfully there's plenty on Bellamy and Noble. David Roach's 25-page overview of the history of British comics (which starts the book off) reveals information hard to get elsewhere and does not shirk from mentioning supersellers of their day, which we 'superhero' fans often forget- girl comics such as Judy, Bunty etc. Thankfully, due to space restrictions I guess, he doesn't dwell on what Gifford laboured over many times.
Who is included? - Go look them up on Google!
=============================================
Leo Baxendale / Frank Bellamy / Brian Bolland / Mark Buckingham / John M. Burns / Alan Davis / Ron Embleton / Hunt Emerson / Dave Gibbons / Frank Hampson / Bryan Hitch / Syd Jordan / Don Lawrence / David Lloyd / Dave McKean / Michael Noble / Kevin O'Neill / Frank Quitely / Ken Reid / Bryan Talbot / Barry Windsor-Smith
Artwork
=======
Mention must be made of the artwork represented. Paul Holder has squeezed so many prime examples in this book and arranged them in such a novel way that it's worth looking at just for the graphic design! The print is always readable and the bonus colour selection leaves me with a desire to revisit these classics of UK comic art! Did I really get such beauties as the Noble, Bellamy and Hampson pieces EVERY WEEK?! They knew what deadlines were, back then!
Lots of information is lost to us through neglect, and thankfully the majority of artists featured are still with us. Their stories are now recorded for posterity. Perhaps this will awaken the sleeping British and we will properly honour those - they are all men in this selection - who influenced not only our childhoods but also our adult lives!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'IT'S TIME WE WENT IN. ARE YOU READY?', 24 May 2012
Simon Barrett "Il penseroso" (london, england) - See all my reviews
A slight problem of terminology here (Baxendale of Bash Street - ex-grammar school boy, wouldn't you know - and Frank 'Dan Dare' Hampson hardly worked for comic BOOKS) but I can see that saying 'comic artists' would be ambiguous. This indispensible tome soon went out of print, to my surprise, as it's hard to believe it sold hugely in the auld country (it's published out of North Carolina and I can imagine it being thumbed nostalgically in farflung corners of the erstwhile Empire) but you can get the digital version from the publisher Twomorrows for $6.95 - no-brainer! With colour and *75* extra pages too, though it's hard to see from the preview what they've added (no extra artists anyhow). As fellow reviewer Normanghast intimates, this complements the exhaustive work in the field of that late, great chronicler of the genre, Denis Gifford. While not comprehensive (Bellamy, Hampson and Don Lawrence I think the only non-living authors) it's definitely unique and it's hard to imagine it being better done. My 100% woodpulp and still pristine copy cost me - I hate to say it - all of 6 quid, when it was retailing at Gosh Comics down the road for 14 nicker 50

True Brit: A Celebration of the Great Comic Book Artists of the UK
True Brit: A Celebration of the Great Comic Book Artists of the UK by George Khoury (Paperback - 21 July 2004)
Used & New from: 19.62