5.0 out of 5 stars Definately 'The best' patterns
I've always enjoyed knitting aran patterns which is why I chose this book. And I wasn't disappointed. There are so many different patterns and styles to choose from. There's also a section at the end which explains how to knit, and do cables etc and how to follow the graphs. I think even a novice to aran and celtic knitting would be able to knit any one of these...
Published on 28 July 2005 by Janice McKinnon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as I'd hoped...
I bought this book based mainly on the reviews given, but contrary to some of these reviews, I'm not so sure this is the book for novice knitters. I would consider myself an intermediate standard, but not keen on the style of pattern instructions given in this book, I personally find regular printed patterns a lot easier to deal with than one small chart you need to...
Published on 7 Oct. 2010 by Mafalda

4.0 out of 5 stars Tradition updates itself, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Arans and Celtics: The Best of "Knitter's Magazine" (The Best of Knitter's Magazine Series) (Paperback)
Beautiful book with a nice blend of updated ancient and traditionally designed modern garments. Some very stylish shaping going on in a good range of sizes. (The help section at the book deals with the yarn thicknesses which might initially seem strange to UK readers). I like knitting from charts but if several lines of written instruction per row is your bag then you aren't going to appreciate them at all so be warned. If you like knitting with charts, then these are clear and easy to follow. Some designs concentrate on the more traditional cables but others incorporate travelling stitches for a lighter garment with a more delicate feel. There are little inserts of cabled loveliness for interest and shaping that draw the eye away from 'bodily imperfections' and for a person of 'luxurious curvatures' (such as myself), some of these are a gift. A quick initial flip-through found six patterns that fulfilled the 'gotta knit this now' criteria and a second look found even more. I do like a book that gives value for money, hands out interest and understands that women quite like knitted garments that don't make them look exactly like a large and dreary bundle of knotted yarn.

Check out the 3-row buttonhole in the help section if you buy the book. New to me but as neat a finish for a vertical buttonhole as any I've tried before.

2.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned knits !, 29 Jun. 2011
I was really disappointed with this book. The majority of the designs are old fashioned and the photos don't help. It's unlikely I'll knit anything from this book but it'll sit on the shelf for a few years and then go off to oxfam. I've never knitted from a chart before and was keen to try a new type of pattern but really you've got to want the jumper at the end of the day ( because Aran knitting takes some concentration at least at the start) and I'm not sure I'd wear any of these !

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont like, 3 May 2014
I am well used to knitting Aran,but I am not happy with this book as it is all in Charts Would recommend I f you are used to knitting kith charts
No complaints against the seller,as I bought second hand

5.0 out of 5 stars Cable heaven, 29 July 2010
Paperback book with patterns for women, men & children that makes you want to start knitting right now. If you love cables, panels, intricate stiches, with arans, guernseys, Shetlands and so on you will apprecaite these patterns. The pattern layout is clear. The level of skill & experience for these patterns varies, & there are clear instructions, but if you have done very little knitting before they could be challenging. The patterns can easily be adapted if you want to knit a slightly different style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Arans, 6 Dec. 2012
I am a prolific knitter and am always on the lookout for good, stylish patterns. This book is a delight, I feel totally spoilt for choice with the patterns it contains. The clear charts and instructions are user friendly and the designs bring a contemporary feel to traditional knitwear.

3.0 out of 5 stars Arans & Celtics Knitters Magazine, 14 July 2011
I got what I ordered and in good time which was a good service. However, eventhough I am a seasoned knitter, I found the book very complicated and of little use to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely knitting book, 21 Nov. 2012
there are some georgeous patterns in this book but most are for an experienced knitter. i am knitting from it at the minute and pleased with result.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 9 Oct. 2010
I too bought this book because I liked the design of the jumper on the front cover and I had read the reviews shown here. However, I was hugely disappointed with the book. Firstly, as the book is, I assume american, the wool weights differ from those we have here and are not listed as double, aran etc. Secondly, and most importantly, all the instructions for the patterns are given as charts!!! I have been an avid knitter for more than 30 years, but I won't be knitting any of the designs from this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 26 Oct. 2014