5.0 out of 5 stars Be kind to children!
This is a great book! We need to treat our children kindly and this book provides a lot of good advice on how to do that while still being able to discipline our children. We need to create the right skills in our children to be able to solve their problems without resorting to violence. We also need not to resort to violence ourselves! Highly recommended.
Published on 26 Jun 2009 by cosmicsunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame it's so short!
This is a short book on Nonviolent Communication. However, please be aware that the book is only 23 pages (plus some pages of ads) long, not 48 pages as stated in the Amazon description. Most of the book is available in the Amazon 'look inside' feature.

Published on 5 April 2011 by C Beyers

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame it's so short!, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Raising Children Compassionately; Parenting the Non-violent Communication Way (Paperback)

I would have appreciated more concrete strategies and suggestions from the author in how to communicate nonviolently to my children. Instead, the greater part of the book is anecdotes about his personal experiences with his own children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be kind to children!, 26 Jun 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 19 Sep 2011
I loved Rosenberg's "Nonviolent communication" so I bought this but feel that it is just a very, very shorteted version of the same book. I feel like there was nothing new in it and would recommend everyone who is thinking of getting this book to get "Nonviolent Communication" instead. It has everything that this book has, and so much more, which then can be applied to raising children compassionately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Refreshing and Stimulating A Must Read, 30 July 2010
C. Paton Gay (Henley on Thames UK) - See all my reviews
Every once in a while an exceptional book is published that provides us with an opportunity to shift a generation's experience with their children. This is one of those! A MUST read!

3.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly small book, 13 Feb 2012
I found this book interesting on the subject of raising children. I am 60 years of age, a mother of 3 adult children and grandmother to four. It is the kind of book I wish I had read when my children were small as it gives a different angle to parenting, a more compassionate and understanding viewpoint and a deeper knowledge of parenting from the childs point of view. My only criticism is that it is very short, more a booklet than a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 12 July 2014
I read this book after reading Paul Gilbert's The Compassionate Mind. It is a short but excellent read and while it can be challenging to slow down and talk things through with children, there have been some magical moments when I realise that actually this relatively simple way of communicating really works.

For me the key though is that you must put across your genuine warmth and love for the child as otherwise it can come across a bit clinical and this will get you nowhere. I am certain that by teaching children to be kind to themselves and to others we will raise a generation more compassionate than the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 29 Mar 2014
This is a short book that can be read in a few hours. It does make you think about the way you interact with children. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 11 Mar 2014
Helps you to realise the effect of our 'demanding' of children and why they rebel it. Also aids with open, honest yet respectful communication with your child ,

1.0 out of 5 stars Like the written equivalent of..., 24 Jan 2013
eating a large salad for your evening meal... a variety of flavours and textures but 15 minutes afterwards you're hungry again.

As a parent of two loving, balanced, polite and confident children if you want to bring up your children to face a world this book or it's principles could never represent you could not go far wrong by finding a copy of Dare to Discipline.

High-level aspirational concepts only ever addressed in the abstract is not really going to help.

Raising Children Compassionately; Parenting the Non-violent Communication Way