on 9 July 1999
Being in the industry (Director of Technology at an Internet start-up) and thinking about the impact of the Internet every day, I wouldn't say that I've learned anything terribly new reading this book. On the other hand, I think some of the subtleties in the thesis are quite original. Many technicians in the industry will be amazed with the social, political and economic implications of what they are doing. And if you are NOT in the industry, you will find it VERY interesting.
I really like the overall organization and I find the step-by-step logic very tight, thorough and compelling. Finally, the research Andrew Shapiro has done is wonderful. This is not just breathless techno-hype or theoretical b-shcool drivel; this is real historical literature rich with detail, supporting arguments and rich sources.
on 10 June 1999
Several years from now it will become clear that "The Control Revolution" itself played an important role in defining, questioning and, ultimately, influencing the role of the internet in everyday life. You must read this instant classic.