4.0 out of 5 stars A rare, mid-ability book on a very difficult subject.
This book is excellent, as for for the first time on any book I've read on the subject, it has lots of mathematics, BUT NO ROCKET SCIENCE! As a result, its an excellent read for someone who's done say A-level maths at school. It is unique as most books I've looked at are either for the complete mathematical layman with very few equations, e.g. Einsteins Universe by Nigel...
Published on 18 Jan 2002 by nick pounder

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely terrible, unreadable.
I know I should probably do more research into a product before buying it, but given the low entry price I didn't think twice about buying Einstein's Relativity for £3. DON'T buy this crap, seriously, it's been dreadfully edited by OCR (w/e the hell that is), making it unreadable. The first few chapters may lull you into a false sense of security, sure, there might be a...
Published 16 months ago by Kanye Best

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical MileStone., 31 May 2009
George Spiros (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This book has a historical value that exceeds whatever cons it might have.

It is a book that explains Relativity by Einstein himself, and not an interpretation by any scientist! That alone makes it a MUST-READ.

Some people criticized for being hard to understand, and bad written. Well relativity itself is a mind-bending theory. Especially if you dont simple state the facts, but you follow every simple step to prove it, and reach conclusions. It could be better written, but it wouldnt make a huge difference and in addition it doesnt reduce this book's value a bit. Must have in your library!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great mind, poor book, 24 Feb 2013
There are many easier to understand books on the subject than this, despite it being written by the man himself, as a result of the unnecessarily flowery and verbose language and style. However, if you can see through the fog of the language, the way his insights into the reality of space-time developed can be perceived.

4.0 out of 5 stars Einstein; The special and general theories of relativity, 27 April 2010
J. R. Noland (UK) - See all my reviews
This short paper was Einstein's effort to provide the intelligent layman with some understanding of the theories and of the thinking behind their development. I very much enjoyed reading this as a "historical" document in Einstein's own words, so to speak. I expect that there are more modern and better written publications for those who simply would like to gain some understanding of the theories. This particular version is very badly marred by many errors of the typo, printing, editing kind. But at the very low price it is still worth having.

2.0 out of 5 stars typographical errors make it unreadable, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Relativity (1920) (Paperback)
The original translation has been scanned and character recognition software has been used to print this edition. However the inevitable mistakes that this leads to are still present as the book has clearly not been proof-read. As a result the book is pretty unreadable with large and frequent typographical errors. Supposedly, the original scan can be found on the website of the publishers but this is not the case. From what I can see of the text it is very interesting and well presented as well as being concise. So I recommend the book but certainly not this edition.

1.0 out of 5 stars Errors, 9 May 2013
Charlie T. (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Since the quoted jacket copy contains two errors in one sentence, I'm not impressed. This suggests a low editorial standard and I will not buy this edition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Go look!, 22 July 2014
C. D. Smith "Doug" (UK) - See all my reviews
I am fortunate in having a Folio copy of the original book, so can check up,if I have a doubt. I purchased the Kindle version for ease when travelling. I have seen the annoying but not terribly important typos. However what did irritate me is that one of the equations is incorrect! Look at page 84, fortunately the equation is repeated (this time correctly) on page 87.
Happy hunting!! At least you have to read it properly and be wide awake to find the mistakes so maybe get a better understanding - perverse or what??

5.0 out of 5 stars The Relativity of Expression, 13 Mar 2009
In this work Albert Einstein elucidates his General and Special Theory of Relativity in a manner relatively (Ha!) devoid of complicated mathematical jargon. It is not a book for an absolute beginner. A familiarity with basic geometry and physics is necessary to understand the concepts put forward. This is not an "Introduction to Relativity". It is the Theory of Relativity in words, rather than mathematical symbols. It is not an easy read for those with little mathematical ability, but it is a rewarding one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A staple of physics, 29 Oct 1998
By A Customer
What can you say about einstein's relativity? well a lot. Einstein spearheaded the revolution of physics with his annus miribalis (1905) papers. You can't study physics without reading this book and taking in its profound effect on the universe as we know it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece written by a genius., 27 Nov 1998
By A Customer
The author of the theory of relitivity offers a clear explination of this complicated concept.All mathematical and technical aspects were clearly defined.Anyone interested and attentive could easily understand this book.Although short in length,it requires the reader to ingest the information slowly in order to obtain its full value.I would not recommend this book to anyone who has not graduated high school.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mind boggling!, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Relativity: The Special and the General Theory (Paperback)
Well, I admit defeat once again. This stuff is too much for my poor brain! There were instances where I could say, `oh yes` or `ah I see` but they were few. I found as the book progressed that I simply could not read it! A shame, because I am interested in the ideas here. In a way I think that part of the reason I find this subject attractive is that it is so mind blowing, but also so hard to grasp! I have looked at numerous explanations for relativity with time dilation/length contraction etc - and they all tend to repeat the same examples eg twins paradox. Sure, I understand the language they use, but true understanding - to me the whole concept of `understanding` is called into question! So now I have a copy of `Einstein for dummies` which was recommended by someone. Let`s hope I have more success here.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Relativity: The Special and the General Theory
Relativity: The Special and the General Theory by Albert Einstein (Paperback - 1 Dec 2010)