4.0 out of 5 stars A must have.
If your planning your first ultra or just want to learn more.This is the book, loads of info on distances from 50k to 100miles and some training plans.
Although geared more towards trail running it is still a great book,and covers all terrains.
A book that you'll always keep referring to.
Published on 18 May 2011 by Dave Merrett

3.0 out of 5 stars useful resource for a beginner
Some very helpful tips and seems to cover all bases including minimalist running. Good advice about race and heat management that were important to me. Probably a bit too much trail orientated but that's not a surprise given where the book originates from.
Published 16 days ago by Mr. Anthony Collier

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have., 18 May 2011
This review is from: Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons (Paperback)
A book that you'll always keep referring to.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide, 24 July 2011
This is an excellent guide to all you could ever need to know before tackling an ultra marathon. It's precise & to the point, with the general information from the author - an experienced ultra-marathoner himself - interspersed with more detailed essays by other ultrarunners, medical professionals, etc. Training plans are included for races from 50k up to 100 miles & beyond.
Highly recommended :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully helpful and incredibly interesting, 31 July 2011
Dr K (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Byron has provided a very readable and also very useful guide. I like that it's written to help readers enjoy, rather than simply survive, ultra running. The inserts from other runners are a great way to present an array of viewpoints and good advice. The race plans are the first set I've seen that co-ordinate with my "less-is-more" training approach, which has boosted my confidence before my first attempt at 30+ miles.

But, given all of that, the most important section of the book to me is the chapter on crew support. I honestly hadn't given it much thought at all, since I can self-support for the distances I normally run. I expect many other newbies make insufficient crew preparation. So, thanks to Byron for pointing out the attention that needs to be paid to this critical part of ultra running!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to start running longer distances, 25 July 2011
I love this book! It provides a practical and easy to follow guide on how to run ultramarathons, whether it's 40 or 100 miles or beyond. It contains lots of good tips on how to train and fuel your body for running longer distances and how to prevent injury. It helped me achieve my goal of running longer distances and I constantly go back to it when I need a bit of advice or inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for anyone considering an Ultra Marathon, 24 Nov 2011
This is an excellent book and a great reference for anyone considering an Ultra Marathon, I bought this as I've entered one for September 2012 when I'll be running from London to Brighton - Can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Read this., 8 Oct 2011
This is a great read. Or lots of great reads. Good value and well worth buying. Get it right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read :-), 25 May 2011
CG Mangiagalli (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you are a runner or someone wanting to run and possibly interested in ultramarathons, then you will probably enjoy this book. I certainly did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice and tips, 2 Aug 2013
I'm glad someone wrote a book on ultra running so i can compare my journey to ultra with the advice in this book. A lot of common sense but good tips for those long runs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 17 Nov 2013
This is the best writen coach book i have read, it has given me insight and inspration for running a ultra. Cant wait to run after following the trianing instruction.

4.0 out of 5 stars The good book, 10 Oct 2013
After being recommended this book I truely think my search is over for the knowledge needed to prepare myself for my first Ultra. The book goes into the right amount of detail for a beginner and keeps it really simple and easy to follow. I would highly recommend this book over the more famous named Ultra books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons
Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons by Bryon Powell (Paperback - 29 April 2011)
8.78