1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like Argentine short stories, stick to Borges!, 6 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Strange Forces (Discoveries (Latin American Literary)) (Paperback)
I must admit, that when the book arrived through the post, with not even a bent corner, I thought it was my lucky day. I even thought the introduction by Alter-Gilbert was quite good, if a little long, and that the first story, 'Firestorm', was quite enjoyable too. However, when continuing with the 'fantastic tales of Leopoldo Lugones', it became clear that this wasn't the book for me. Why? Well I think it was mainly a result of reading at least four of the twelve stories which took up over ten pages each whilst describing scientific possibilities and metaphysics, with it going wrong at the end, with the endings of the stories not being 'finished', i.e. 'was that it?'.
It is true that a couple of the tales were quite mysterious and thought-provoking, as the one mentioned, and that I probably am a little biased, as I like Jorge Luis Borges' writings, and have done for a long time (and it was through one of his books that I heard about Lugones).
Nevertheless, despite these points, I still feel that the stories read as though the majority could have been done by someone fairly amateur..., and is definitely only worth 2 stars (the other star is for Amazon for getting the book to me in tip-top condition!).

Strange Forces (Discoveries (Latin American Literary))
Strange Forces (Discoveries (Latin American Literary)) by Leopoldo Lugones (Paperback - Mar. 2001)
Used & New from: £995.42