Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 August 2009
I first heard of this book from an audio cd. Seminar leader David DeAngelo, demonstrated how to use Mind Lines to shatter limiting beliefs, and strengthen inner game, and how it worked for him.

Later an nlp student asked me to install the idea from this book, EXTERNAL BEHAVIOR = INTERNAL STATE. He waxed so lyrically about Michael Hall and Mindlines, I determined to read it.

Ostensibly it's about the art of reframing conversations using the 26 techniques in this book.

What happens though, as you read, and apply the Mind-lines to yourself, you come up with new ones and you may notice your own mind starts to open up, you look at things in new ways, and you can find inspiring answers, and shifts in perception.

Here is an example with reframes:

"Your being late means you don't care." External behavior (lateness)= Internal State (don't care).

Reflect back: Have you ever been late for something, and did it mean you didn't care?

Counter example: If I was on time would that prove that I did care?

Contrast: Just because someone is on time doesn't mean they care. Just because somenone's late doesn't mean they don't care.

Meta Model, Chunking down: How specifically, does my being late mean I don't care?

Mind Reading: How do you know I don't care? Are you able to read my mind?

Authority frame: According to who? Where is it written that lateness means not caring?

Value: What's more important, my being here, or my being late?

Allness: What would it be like if everyone was always late? Would it mean that no one cares, ever?

You do need to have good rapport with some reframes. And there are 18 more than this. The patterns I have used most to change my own thoughts have been negation, future pacing and metaphor patterns. More recently, I am using chunking up questions.

If you're like me, you'll discover yourself coming up with your own reframes for common situations, whether it be in career, personal relationships, dealing with children, or dealing with difficult or uncooperative people, and as you do you will realise the rewards of reexamining these situations. The more you open up to the opportunities these reframes present, the more opportunities open up.

I hope you find this review helpful.
on 22 January 2012
This book is 5 stars as a reference work. However you would be better off starting off with something easier to get you up and running. I would recommend Doug O'briens audio (sleight of mouth Its called), you can find it via google

The book itself can feel like hard work as its very dense. But it is very comprehensive and makes for a good reference book once you have a basic understanding of the patterns. Also I would recommend Dilts Sleight of Mouth book.

One of the best things about the book is it teaches you the importance of deframing the belief first, that makes reframing much easier, as the logical flaws become more obvious.

I recommend that you start by writing down your own limiting beliefs in a word document. Create a template with all the patterns listed and a space to write out the reframe. After you have done several you will start to become skilled with the patterns and over time you can go back and edit the document as you become better. You will start to notice results both in terms of improvement in your own thinking patterns and your reframing skills. Its a really wonderful experience when you feel a paradigm shift on a negative thinking pattern that has troubled you for years.

This stuff really brings NLP to life and makes it practical
on 24 January 2010
An excellent companion to the work of Roberts Dilts and Sleight of Mouth. It takes it on by looking at external actions and the internal states that it creates. Takes a bit of time to read and is more of a manual of reframing however some excellent gems in here. Magic if you are prepared to put in the time. I loved the frame they put around things that are "complex". Its true that your mind opens when the frame changes. Wish we could make this easy to learn for everyone and the world and your world would change, wouldn't it? That has to be is the bigger ambition for NLP. Mind lines is a skill to master over time and worth it.
on 13 January 2014
Terrific, thought provoking in the extreme, a useful, practical guide to getting the best out of change work - if you're NLP trained and haven't read it - read it now. Dive deep.
on 6 June 2016
i think its complex for the average jo its looked like some university assignment of theisis but great thought processes none the less
on 3 August 2014
Good book enjoying reading good tip have been play around with them and had lot of fun
on 17 July 2009
Doesn't really pin down the subject.
Lots of NLP-like talk but not much essence.
I was left with the impression that the two authors don't fully master the domain.

Best is to get a 'slight-of-mouth' book from the source