4.0 out of 5 stars A place to start
Published on 26 Jun 2007 by Jackie C

3.0 out of 5 stars too basic for my needs
This book is an excellent resource for parents/carers of children with ASD's. However' in my case it was too basic. My daughter was insulted by the idea that she needs telling obvious things. this book was not really much use for my child with asperger's who is very high functioning.
Published on 5 Mar 2007 by D. J. Hillyard

4.0 out of 5 stars A place to start, 26 Jun 2007
This review is from: Taking Care of Myself: A Hygiene, Puberty and Personal Curriculum for Young People with Autism (Paperback)
On the contrary to the previous reviewer, we have found this book useful for our son with severe autism, adapting it for his needs. It isn't the complete resource but it is a start and got us thinking of ways round the seemingly insurmountable. It is an American book so some of the language is not what we are used to. However, we were relieved to at last find a book that approached this difficult subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars too basic for my needs, 5 Mar 2007
D. J. Hillyard (manchester, England,uk) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 4 Jun 2013
This book was originally shown to me by my daughters teacher who had had it recommended to her by the educational psychologist in anticipation of starting sex education at school. Her teacher said she didnt like it and didnt think it was suitable i asked to see it all the same..... i thought (although some of the terms used are American) it was very well written with the direct purpose of being read and used by autistic children. It is direct factual and almost written in the style of a Social story. My daughter took to the style with ease and took it on board in a far more positive way due to it limited pictoral content and social story and list of instructions layout. The pictures included are more cartoon based and not biological which for her is helpful. She is 9 and has been able to follow the start of it well and has learnt about having a bath and washing her hair alone which is a massive step. Although she did mention they had forgotten to state that the plug goes in first and there was a typo and said she should put hampoo on her hair:) which caused confusion then great laughter!!!! It will be well used throughout these coming years and i think it is a brilliant addition to any parents support material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, 11 Dec 2012
Very useful addition to my resources. Easy to follow and apply in various situations. Would recommend to anyone working with young children