on 19 June 1998
From the very first page, I was captivated by the characters - it was as if I KNEW Dr. Chris Warren, and from the beginning of the book, I anxiously puzzled over how the brutish Jesse Campbell's disparate life would possibly intersect with his. The author, Charles West, performs like a trapeze artist - delicately balancing this riveting tale with pertinent medical facts. The story immediately grabs you- and won't let you go until you reach the last page. The author created in me a lore of science fiction - I have never thought of myself as a sci-fi fan, - but if Charles West writes it, I'LL READ IT!!!
on 9 February 1997
I met Chuck West at a signing in Atlanta, and I must say he's a helluva nice guy. However, he can't write medical suspense to save his own life! Poor technical editing aside, (the publisher's fault, anyway,) this book lacks what it takes to be even a decent first offering. My primary beef with this book is that, beginning to end, it just felt like I knew as much as the author did about medicine. The research just hasn't been done, which is what makes the "masters" of this genre (Cook, Palmer, Crichton) what they are... masters.