5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!
Before reading this book I knew nothing about B12 or the dire effects of its deficit on our brains, nerves and bodies. I found it an excellent information source on types of B12, absorption of the three forms and which form is to be preferred for oral therapy and why it is that one's body can be awash in B12 so that high normal serum levels are obtained yet by the...
Published on 16 Oct 2011 by Donny's Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars Very long
Full of all the detail you need but dry as dust. Certainly not a bedtime read, and I'm a big reader of academic texts.
Published 6 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-saving book!, 8 Aug 2011
This review is from: Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Paperback)
This book is brilliantly well-written and easy to understand if you're not in the medical field. It has filled me with hope and optimism that B12 therapy will alleviate some of the devastating symptoms my father is suffering with his dementia. Even if it's too late for him, it has opened my eyes to this vital vitamin for mine and my family's health.
The reference range for B12 is far too low so diagnosis can easily be missed.
At the end of the book, Sally and Jeffrey call for "a united effort" to raise awareness. I really hope they achieve their goal because so many people will be able to avoid the many devastating illnesses that B12 deficiency can cause.
Every GP, Consultant or Medical Researcher should have a copy of this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it works ..., 25 Mar 2013
After reading this most excellently researched and referenced book and having feeling like previous levels of fitness were becoming very much more hatd work than they had been, I started taking high doses of vit b12. I didn't notice any day to day difference (felt fine) but I did with my running. What with one thing and another I didn't manage a run for about 10 days and then, wow!, I was motoring along barely even noticing I was running. The book states that this deficiency is fairly common, moreso with age. My experience is trivial, this book suggests alot of diseases can mimic deficiency including MS and dementia. Again we find mainstream medicine largely ignoring it. I would be very interested in other readers experiences. I am giving it 5 stars because it is so very well referenced.

4.0 out of 5 stars A "must read" book for everyone, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Paperback)
As someone who was lucky enough to be diagnosed (by a Consultant) with B12 deficiency,having presented with symtoms which were baffling my GP, I have found this to be a most informative book. I am 68 and I have advised all my children to have themselves checked out for this problem. I am now on a simple, self administered,injection once a month and feel great.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best B12 Book on the Market, 24 Oct 2012
Dollywagon (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Paperback)
Sally was the trailblazer for highlighting the current day problems with b12 diagnosis and treatment. Her background as a nurse and her determination to speak out against the system she was employed in, can only serve to highlight the courage and risks she has taken to bring b12 deficiency to public attention. She is not afraid to ruffle feathers. Her book is a well balanced mix of historical information, problems with diagnosis, effective treatments and stories which the reader can associate with. As far as I am concerned this is the Bible of b12 and I understand that the authors continue to fight to bring the issue not only to the attention of the public, but also to the medical profession and politicans alike. Worth every penny if you want to understand what went wrong with b12 diagnosis and treatment and what is still wrong with it and how you can help yourself and those around you improve your quality of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Information, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Paperback)
I am realy impressed with the amount of research and thought put into this book. It's a very important topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars B12?, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Paperback)
I learnt a lot from this book. In fact it shocked me in places. Well worth a read if you are feeling unwell without being able to pin point anything in particular. I have been diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia so it was not necessary for me to read it, but it opened my eyes. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, informative and easy to read, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Paperback)
An excellent book, highly recommend that anyone with a B12 deficiency or an interest in this debilitating disorder should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 May 2012
K. DAY (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Paperback)
A large book of over 300 pages. I was expecting page after page of blah, blah, blah, with the odd interesting fact thrown in. The opposite was the case. Page after page of interesting facts with the odd blah, blah, blah thrown in. I highly recommend this book. The knowledge is a life saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exceptional Read, 20 April 2011
This review is from: Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses (Paperback)
This book is a well balanced mixture of case studies, original research and known facts that seem. conveniently, to have been forgotten by the medical fraternity. 'Could It Be B12' is essential reading for anyone with an interest in medical care and exposes the truth about vitamin B12 deficiency. The book exposes an international medical problem of misdiagnoses. It confirms what the Pernicious Anaemia Society has long suspected - that patients suffering from this deficiency are routinely being diagnosed with some other illness - which in turn causes unecessary distress, suffering and wastes millions of pounds and dollars every year. This book will, hopefully, go some way to getting the medical fraternity to review the way they diagnose all manner of illnesses. Highly recommended reading wherever you live.

4.0 out of 5 stars Information useful in USA but more limited usefulness in UK, 24 May 2013
I read this book after being diagnosed with anaemia last year. My GP recommended ferrous sulphate iron tablets which did little to improve my iron deficiency. Ferrous sulphate is apparently highly toxic which is why I stopped taking the tablets. Instead I turned to more natural sources of iron in my diet such as nettle tea and green leafy vegetables such as spinach and watercress, as well as using a high dose B12 methylcobalamin lozenge and multivitamin mineral supplement containing iron available from a company called Big Vits. Most of the vitamin supplements on supermarket shelves in the UK do not have a high enough RDA to make much difference as this vitamin can be easily destroyed. The book was interesting and informative about the possible causes about the prevalence of B12 deficiency such as the fashionable trend for vegetarian, vegan or microbiotic diets which can lead people to become deficient in this essential vitamin which is important for supporting brain cells and nerve tissue. However, using alternatives such as vitamin supplements or other food such as chlorella will not always address the deficiency in B12 explain the authors. Meat is one of the main sources of B12 but this deficiency can also be found in meat eaters. The authors suggest that if it isn't dietary deficiencies that are causing this epidemic there must be other causes such as the use of Thirmerosal, a highly toxic mercury based preservative found in vaccines which can deplete essential B vitamins which can destroy the nervous system. This can lead to developmental damage and learning difficulties in babies, toddlers and teenagers, as well as the misdiagnosis of MS, Parkinson's disease, or dementia and frequent falls in the elderly. Another source of mercury poisoning which the authors do not allude to in their book is the widespread use of mercury in amalgam fillings used in dentistry which I refer to in my own book available on Amazon Kindle called "My Journey Back to Health" by Alice Hill (my pseudonym name). There is a European Union Court ban coming into effect this year about phasing out the use of these fillings over the next 5 years. I am not sure if this will come into effect in the USA. When I asked my own GP for the range of tests recommended by the authors in this book I was advised that there was only one test for B12 deficiency available on the NHS which is a blood test. As my result came back within the mid-range, I was not considered to be B12 deficient, although the authors would suggest my result would be borderline, hence the anaemia. In severe cases, B12 injections can be given provided your doctor is sufficiently knowledgeable and well-trained to look for the signs and symptoms of the deficiency.

Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses
Could it be B12?: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses by Jeffrey J. Stuart (Paperback - 1 April 2011)
9.54