5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Book!, 16 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Way I Feel (Hardcover)
This book is amazing. The author has selected a few of the main feeling, and has written a poem about how we feel and why we feel like that and there are stunning pictures alongside the writing. Would be a good opening to start discussing about different feelings with children. ie. "ANGRY: Angry is how I feel right now! I shout with a mighty roar. I mostly want to frown and growl, and stomp upon the floor." And beside it there is a drawing of a girl who is very angry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not judging, just stating, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Way I Feel (Hardcover)
Unlike a lot of the emotions books available in which scenarios are presented that might make a child feel a certain way, this publication has short poems that describe a variety of emotions, without saying that they are good or bad, right or wrong. The book focuses on how you feel not what makes you feel a particular way. I like this approach. The aim is to help children to articulate how they feel and to talk about emotions without being made to feel at fault for how they feel. I skip the 'scared' page because it is about being scared of a thunder storm at night and the child wants the light on, neither of my children are scared of these things and I don't want to give them ideas! The other descriptions of emotions do not lead a child to associate a particular feeling with a particular situation. This means parents can use the poems as a spring board for talking about feelings and emotions that are specific to the individual child that might be different to generalised ideas of what makes us feel sad, angry, etc. (Many books seem to focus on the 'he snatched my toy, I feel angry, what do I need to do to stop that feeling' approach to emotions that might lead a child to modify his behaviour in a negative way). This book simply, and with lovely illustrations, says 'here are some emotions, we all feel them, they are all a part of who we are'.

I used this with one of my children who gets very upset and sometimes angry at what he thinks is unfairness, but my other boy loves the book too and they quite often like to have it read just because they enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually spectacular, 17 May 2014
This review is from: The Way I Feel (Hardcover)
Beautifully illustrated. Love all the feelings explored as they are so relavent to toddler experiences. Gorgeous book. Only criticism is some of the rhymes feel a bit forced but overall fabulous book.

4.0 out of 5 stars For younger readers, though some adults might benefit too!, 4 Nov 2013
J. Williamson "Cookie maker" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way I Feel (Paperback)
A good book for young readers to know it that it's ok to feel or be in different moods but not really understand why. Easy read

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book - wish it was in hardback, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Way I Feel (Hardcover)
The only reason I'm giving this 4 and not 5 stars is that it's only available in paperback - I think it's such a fantasic book - with really good illustrations of different emotions which are so important for children to understand. It's perfect for my little one - but at 20mnths he's a bit little for paperback as he likes to turn the pages himself and he'd just rip the book it I let him. Sigh...brilliant but flawed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 8 May 2011
Lizz (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way I Feel (Paperback)
This simple little book is a great tool for a parent, teacher, counsellor or any other person morning with a young child. It gives simple effective pictures and words to help the child to understand his/her emotions.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Way I Feel, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Way I Feel (Hardcover)
Great book! Originally bought because looking through books and seen great its reviews. I bought this on the idea that my daugther now aged 2 years would be able to read when she was ready in a couple years from now, but she lifts it of the book shelf and asks me to read it.. I was worried as some of the pictures can look a little alerting to a 2 yr old but she loves it! I have to read it over and over and over again. When we read it together I ask her to tell me how she felt today and she will tell me if she was happy or sad or excited and then briefly goes into why.. like happy dancing, happy at farm.. Great great great book!

The Way I Feel
The Way I Feel by Janan Cain (Hardcover - 1 Jan 2000)
8.06