on 2 September 1999
I originally bought the book because I needed suggestions for low cost accomodations for my next trip.After I read the book,I ended up planning the whole vacation around the theme "Monasteries in Italy".The brief but rich info on the history,art,location,traditions,makes the monasteries and convents in this book a most desirable spot to visit for themselves.The author gives all the practical info needed (price, directions, people to contact, restrictions that may apply)for a successful lodging in the most sought after locations in Italy , as well as in the most remote,pristine places.This book is by far the richest and the most helpful when it comes to convent lodgings in Italy.
on 2 February 2009
I spent around 10 minutes every morning, before leaving for work, reading the details and planning the holidays I`ll probably never have. The detail on location and special arrangments was excellent even down to some venues having curfews. I was sad to finish the book. I`d recommend it to any one as obsessed with Italy as I am.
on 2 October 2015
Sent this to my son and his fiance as they are going to tour Italy and get a blessing on their marriage. Great book !
You can stay in monasteries - not as a religious retreat - in Italy for very little money and easy availability. This book is the best resource available for it in English.
However, as a guide book, the info it offers beyond addresses and telephone numbers, is not great. These places vary greatly in quality and price. Moreover, no directions to get to them - and they are in odd corners of Italy! - are offered, which means you will have trouble EVERY time you try to find one.

Recommended, but make sure you have a bevy of other guide books with you for more detailed info.