on 16 November 2007
Philip Tate favors 'Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy' (REBT) to treat alcohol problems. REBT is a development of Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT). Although this book was useful for changing some of my behaviors and beliefs around drinking, it didn't help me to stay away from drink for very long.

'Behavioral' techniques like REBT assume that addiction (to alcohol or other drugs) is caused by faulty thoughts and beliefs.

I wasn't drinking too much because of my thoughts and beliefs. I was drinking too much because I felt bad. My faulty thoughts and beliefs were used to justify my drinking. They weren't the cause of my drinking.

Philip Tate's book did help to counter some of my excuses for drinking. But REBT made no difference to the way I felt most of the time. To change that, I needed to spend some time working with the Twelve Steps.
on 25 March 1999
Dr. Tate's book on how to stop the use of alchol provides an informative and enlightening persective on the application of cognitive-behavioral princples in treating substance abuse problems. It provides clinical and practical information to the clinician and the lay-person/client. Dr. Tate's book is a must for any library on the treatment of alchol abuse/dependence.