4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but ...
Published on 19 Jun 2010 by Robert Kostelac

3.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity
This book disappointed me. It is well produced, on quality paper with plenty of reasonable pictures and maps. However the structure and writing style get in the way of an efficient transfer of information and opinions.

Published on 3 July 2010 by Bill Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity, 3 July 2010
This review is from: Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and More (Motorcycle Journeys) (Paperback)

It neither organises information in a way that can be readily extracted nor does it provide entertaining narrative that can be dipped into for enjoyment.

The "beyond" part of the title generally relates to South France and North Spain, I had assumed it meant it strayed into Eastern Europe.

This book is written by someone living in the USA for readers in the USA and the very many misconceptions about Europe within it are amusing. However they demonstrate a lack of true understanding about many of the issues being presented.

For example, he believes Europeans don't drink tap water and goes on to encourage the reader to drink water from taps labelled as not drinking water as they are a "ruse" to encourage us to purchase bottled water! (More likely they are an indication that the water comes from an open tank in the roof space that is shared with vermin).

He refers to French priority signs on roundabouts without describing the "priorité à droite" system that creates the need for them. It is unsafe to ride on these roads if you are unaware of the significance of priorité à droite.

It offers a comprehensive coverage of the central Alps and eclectic references to a few other areas in Europe. It has useful advice for someone from North America who wishes find a way of riding in the Alps but I have found little in it that I will be able to make use of in planning my Alpine journeys.

It is a missed opportunity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but ..., 19 Jun 2010
Robert Kostelac (Zagreb, Croatia) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after recommendation from good friend, also motorcycle driver. Since this was my first trip to the Alps with motorcycle, I had in mind only few end-points, but I wasn't sure about the route. I was hoping that this book is going to help me - but the help was only partially. The thing I'm missing in this book is some bigger picture - overview of the region, big map, how to get from place A to place B. It is excellent for smaller regions with lots of tips and suggested routes, but you need another map and more preparation if you have in mind to scan some larger areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info, 22 Dec 2009
Abilio Tavares (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
Just what I needed, I found in this book. Higly recommended for those wanting to ride their way through the Alps and more :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, 16 Feb 2012
I bought this book when planning a trip to the Alps and found it invauable, without it I would have probably only covered half as many passes and they may not have all been as great as the ones chosen using the book.

I have since returned to cover a bit more of the Alps (the place is bigger than the entire UK with over 300 passes listed in the book over 80 odd half - full day trips) and again the book helped greatly with deciding upon the roads we really wanted to ride.

Sure it does not cover exactly how to get from A-B, but imagine trying to write a book with a single trip covering 85,000 square miles and describing a route to suit everyone (not to mention it would take about 30 days solid riding and be over 10,000 miles long)

If you really wants a complete holiday itinery and everything worked out for you then book with a tour company.

I also find John Hermans knowledge of the Alps pretty good, which it should be as he has ridden over a million miles through them over several decades, and I think he probably has learned a bit about Europe on those travels, although the book is written with the American in mindit does not detract from it being a brilliant reference for other nationalities.

Where the book falls down a little is in rather small maps and sometimes the details are hard work to dig out of the narrative, I think maybe splitting the narrative away and providing some route details seperately would help, as would providing bigger maps (or even better routes / route notes on a CD)

I found by choosing 2-3 of the key areas in the book and deciding which routes in those areas I really wanted to cover works well for me (stopping at 2-3 nights at each location) joing the dots between locations is not hard (punch postcode into sat-nav if your struggling)

I know other riders who have just weaved there way across the Alps barely stopping anywhere for more than one night using parts of the routes in the book (instead of running the circular routes) - which I also have done to assisit in getting from A-B.

For the price I can't see it not being worthwhile for anyone, even if it helps you choose just a couple of raods on your Journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nearly perfect, even for a car driver, 5 May 2010
Read about this book on a couple of bike biased forums and decided to give it a look see as I do quite a bit of touring/ road tripping. Most of the routes are passable by car and there are one or two that I had not found before and this book is pointing me in the right direction for summer. If I had any criticism it would be that the book is written neither as a narrative/story or a guide point to point but a mix of the two being greedy I would have preffered the Authors tale followed by a point to point guide for each route as he does make an interesting writer as well as route planner.
The other mild criticism is really another 'want' I would love the book to include a large fold out map with all the suggested trips marked, which would make for much easier planning when threading the passes together.
Still a full 5 stars, it would be unfair to mark it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars The problem with high expectations is..., 9 Jun 2009
When we decided to ride through the Alps, this book was a common reference among every specialized forum or discussion group. Everyone thought highly of it; so I went and bought it.
I was aiming high and felt, after reading it, disappointed. The maps references were confusing or lacking, and a general map would be of great use.
I don't want to end this review without mentioning the good points this "guide" has:
1. It's massive and covers a whole lot of the Alps territory;
2. It's told in the first person, always riding a bike;

In short, if it were today I would still buy it, but there's room for improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential guide, 3 Sep 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
buy it now if you get this and dont visit the alps i will eat my hat so there, if you can afford the hotels mentioned again usa authour

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent! Wouldn't go in the Alps without it!, 14 Jan 2013
K. MICHAIL "Michael" (Greece) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
It is by far THE greatest guide for motorcycling through the Alps. I used in two trips I took with my motorcycle in the Dolomites and it was as if I have been there a thousand times.

PS: Great companion along with "Alpine Countries: With Touring Information (Road Map)" map.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do it yourself, 8 Jan 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
Saw this and it turned out to be the start of what can only be the best Motorcycling Holiday I have ever been on.Came across an American couple in Switzerland whose own copy was nearly falling apart they had used it that much. Have a feeling mine will end up the same way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoping it'll be useful, 8 July 2010
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
Very much a reference work rather than a book to read through in one go, but hopefully it will provide plenty of inspiration and useful source of information for planning future trips.

ARRAY(0xb2feb570)

Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and More (Motorcycle Journeys)
Used & New from: 50.00