on 18 April 2012
I'm from Czech and I must have read this book about 20 times, last time about 2 years ago and I'm almost 35! That's how amazing and sweet the story is!

When I saw this on Amazon I thought, fantastic! I will buy that for friend's kids, they will love it just like I did. When the book arrived, I started reading through it and I was a bit disappointed. Some of the names of the children were changed as opposed to the original Swedish ones we had in the Czech book, I guess to make it easier to read but I don't think Lasse, Bosse and Olle is difficult for British children, or is it? Also I didn't know this isn't the actual complete book, it is only second or maybe third part so I will have to buy the rest of the books to get the complete story.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I loved Astrid Lindgren’s books as a child and, although my daughter has read – and enjoyed – the Pippi Longstocking books, she had not read anything else by Astrid Lindgren and was happy to give this a try. Lindgren was, of course, a Swedish author and this collection of stories was first published in 1949, so children will enjoy the unusual names of the characters and this depiction of an earlier, and more innocent time, when children were allowed to roam and play with much more freedom than most children have today.

The children of Noisy Village live in the countryside, where there are three farms in a row. There is Lasse, Bosse, Lisa, Olle, Britta and Anna – and not to forget baby Kerstin, Olle’s little sister. Together, the children go sledging, ice skating, go to a party, hunt for treasure and have lots of other adventures. With each chapter a self contained story, the book a fairly short 112 pages and fun, black and white illustrations, this is ideal for confident readers or the perfect length for bedtime. I would recommend this for children aged approx 6+. My daughter is 8 and she loved it – so much so that she is keen to read the companion volume, “The Children of Noisy Village.”
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My nine year old daughter is a prolific reader and loves all kinds of books, however she is never happier than when she has her nose buried in a wonderful and imaginary world that only fiction books can provide.

Recently I have been introducing my daughter to various stories of my youth with great success. Enid Blyton's Famous Five being her firm favourite so far.

Happy Times in Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren is another favourite from my youth.

Astrid Lindgren is the author of Pippa Longstocking which was first published in 1945. This collection of short stories 'Happy Times in Noisy Village' was also written by Astrid Lindgren and was first published in 1949.

In the middle of the countryside there are three farms, all in a row, where Lisa, her two brothers and their friends live, welcome to Noisy Village. The children here are always busy having fun.

My daughter has absolutely loved this collection of stories. Simple, happy bite size tales of children having fun, lots of fun. Each story is only a few pages long, the perfect length for my daughter to read just before sleep. Each story includes a lovely black and white illustration by Tony Ross.

Happy Times in Noisy Village will give today's children a glimpse of life unknown to them, a time of adventure, simple things and a time when most young children only had to worry about what time to be home for dinner and not about the latest gadgets or which friend has said what on some social network site.

There are 14 stories in this 112 page book and my daughter thoroughly enjoyed every single one. She also asked loads of questions about what life was like during the 1950's and although my youth was during the 1960's and 1970's I was able to satisfy her curiosity.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Astrid Lindgren is best remembered as the creator of Pippi Longstocking but she wrote many other books, including two set in the tiny Swedish hamlet of Noisy Village, which were apparently based on her own childhood. This book is the second of the two but there's no need to read them in the set order as the setting and characters are introduced at the start.

Noisy Village consists of just three farms with a family in each; a total of six children (plus a baby) live on these farms and all play together - the book describes their adventures from Christmas of one year to the following summer. The nearest school and shop are a way off, but despite the isolation and the lack of TV, music, videogames, iPods etc., the children find plenty to keep them busy and entertained.

The flavour of the stories is very reminiscent of Pippi Longstocking, with plenty of humour and some quirky characters. I imagine most young children of around 6 to 9 will enjoy hearing about Lisa and her five friends and about rural Sweden, and the short chapters are ideal for bedtime reading. A welcome reissue.
VINE VOICEon 5 June 2015
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Happy Times in Noisy Village, by Astrid Lindgren, is a delightful collection of stories about a group of children who live in neighbouring farms. They get up to all sorts of fun, whilst roaming around the countryside together. In this way it is reminiscent of Enid Blyton's works, as there are no worries about letting the children go out and adventure freely. It is evident from early on, that this is set in a much simpler carefree time, as modern parents are much less likely to afford their children such freedom.

Each chapter of the book is a story in it's own right. This makes it ideal for bedtime. My six year old definitely enjoyed reading the book, but was not gripped by it in the same way she is with Enid Blyton or Roald Dahl, for example. I, however, will find it useful for reading to my children, as it is just right for reading aloud.

Overall, a lovely little collection of tales.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book looks like it has been very popular in Sweden for more than a decade and it is now finding success in the UK.

I found this a perfect bedtime story to be read by my daughter to get me to sleep, unfortunately I then have to get up and do the household chores before my bedtime!

There are lots of children and a lot of activities that the children in the book get into, plus a few illustrations. The noisy village is in the middle of the countryside with three farms all in a row. Here Lisa, and her two brothers, and their friends live and play. It iOS not in every village that you will find treasure, battle pirates, and race sledges!

My daughter has also read and enjoyed Wendy Quill is a Crocodile's Bottom by Wendy Meddour, Shrinking Violet by Lou Kuenzler, The Worst Thing about my Sister by Jacqueline Wilson, and Clarice Bean Spells Trouble by Lauren Child.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a book aimed at 5-9 year olds, depending on reading ability. Its suitable for those moving away from picture books. It is Swedish, so children may need help with the names in chapter 1. The book is really a collection of adventures through the year for Lisa, one of the villagers, and her family and friends. It has a really happy vibe, and can be read in chapter chunks as opposed to all the way through. Although the lead character is female, it is likely to appeal to both boys and girls - one of the chapters is devoted to the fun they had sledging, for example.

As the book is set in Sweden, it would work well with any project to look at Scandinavian life, as it may spark questions about the weather (more snow), Easter traditions, New Year and Christmas traditions etc... It is a good way to encourage curiosity and awareness about other places.
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2015
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'd heard of Pippi Longstocking, probably heard some of the stories on Jackanory as a youngster (Jackanory? Ask your parents.) I wouldn't have known the author wrote other stories. Here are some of them, thankfully still set in the Nordic world and not Anglicised or Americanised.

The spiel suggests these suitable for age 6 up. Our six year old isn't particularly grabbed by the tales, and though he can read the stories with some help they don't hold his attention at the moment. Perhaps with more dinosaurs or sharks. For older children, say 8 plus, they will probably be more receptive.

A word about the illustrations, by the legendary Tony Ross. He's terrific, as always.
on 12 December 2012
I loved these stories as a child and I love reading them to my children now (ages 6 and 4). They are simple but humorous and insightful tales of ordinary life (school, Easter, Christmas, holidays etc.)
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Happy Times in Noisy Village is different to other books we read so far, in a good way.

My girls who are 4 & 9 really enjoyed listening to adventures of the Noisy Village kids.

Similarly to Astrid Lindgren's "Pippi Long-stocking", the books tells a story of growing up old style... making lead solders, enjoying simple things. It reminds much very much of my own childhood but it is told in such an interesting way that my girls got sucked into it and now we need to read it every night.

This is paper back edition so it would not make a great gift but hard-cover version of the same title is also available.