VINE VOICEon 21 July 2006
Definitely worth reading if you are already a fan of the series. Fans of Ms McDermid's Tony Hill series may not enjoy this as much because the Lindsay Gordon books manage to be more lighthearted even though it also deals with murder.

The characters are all witty and there are several 'laugh out aloud' moments in this book.

It's been a while since the mess Lindsay got into over the murder of Tom Jack in 'Union Jack' and she is now back in the States with Sophie.

Unfortunately a good friend from Frisco gets murdered while in London and her former lover (also a friend of Sophie and Lindsay's) is the prime suspect. Lindsay flies to England in the hopes of finding the 'real' killer but as usual gets caught up in a more deadly game than she expected.

The book is well written with lots of hair raising moments to compliment the more jovial ones. The dialog and descriptions are, as always, spot on.

This is a very enjoyable read and i sincerely hope Ms McDermid doesn't call it quits with the series.
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2010
This was my first and last foray into Val McDermid. A friend told me her early books were very good but that the author seems to have given in to her lesbian obsession. Nothing wrong with that and I'm all for social issues playing their part in stories, it makes them more life-like, but let's have some variety and a few men in the plot. This did not stir me at all. I found it mediocre and tedious and I certainly did not chuckle at the funny bits. I didn't find anything in this book even slightly amusing. It could have been good - the plot was unusual but lost its way amongst all these annoying women who all seemed to have had relationships with each other in previous times. I found it exasperating to follow. For the most part the characters were like cardboard cut-out figures, lacking any grit or substance. Oh dear this feels harsh but that's how I found it. Totally forgettable.
on 23 June 2010
A fairly interesting read but not up to McDermid's usual standard. Intricate, but not quite believeable, plot. Some interesting characters but not enough information about them or their relationships with each other. Having read other books by this author, and finding them superb reading, this book left me a little disappointed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 December 2012
This now reads as being set in a primitive time, just because nobody has mobiles and tablets in every pocket and e-publishing isn't really on the table. It was only written in 1996.
I have read a more complex and better story by McDermid called The Distant Echo - set in freezing Scotland and beginning with four drunken students, following their family lives. I had hoped for more of the same but this one didn't match up.
However, for the many people interested in publishing this will provide insights and humour behind the scenes. A bestselling prolific author of a series somewhat like Harry Potter, and about to be made into a TV series, is killed. The trigger is obviously her foray into adult works. This occurs in England and for some reason nobody will do but an ex-journalist living in America, to investigate quietly.
There are many women in this book and I could only name two or three as distinct characters. They are almost all gay women and several come across as cardboard cutouts with no issues in their lives other than coming out of the closet. That was a shame, because I would have liked more insight into these people and a more rounded set of characters. Lindsay, the protagonist, is a bright but not that bright woman who is manipulated into investigating her friend's death and seems to have no pressing work commitments or indeed need to earn a living.
Overall a decent read, but she's written better.
on 2 May 2013
After reading the author's "The Mermaids Singing" (the first Tony Hill book) and enjoying it tremendously I had high expectations for this book. I was however disappointed by the flimsy writing style, and the lack of depth and credibility of the characters. After enjoying the incredible detail and complexity of the plot of The Mermaids Singing, this novel seemed trivial and lack-lustre. A great disappointment.
on 21 February 2013
Booked for Murder The best, so far, of the Lindsay Gordon mysteries. Once again flying across the world in aid of a wrongly accused friend. Whilst solving that case, at serious cost to her own health, she even manages to save another friend from scheming business partners, well done Lindsay and well done Val.
on 17 May 2016
Not one of my favourite Val MCDermid novels. Took me a a few chapters to get into the plot but nonetheless once I got intuit eit was enough to hold my interest
on 19 August 2013
But this is not one of her best. It's a bit too jaunty and unengaging, and I found I wasn't particularly interested in finding out the denoument.
on 20 March 2013
Another excellent read by Val. Have all of her current books now and none of them disappoint. Fantastic read by all murder mystery addicts.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2000
The five "Lindsay Duncan" mysteries are the juvenile starting point for those who like to see how a writer's style develops. Personally, I prefer the five Kate Brannigan private eye mysteries to these schoolgirl stories. I recommend that you read Ms McDermid's books in chronological order, as the later books build not only in technique, but also in the life stories of the chief characters.