4.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis - 4th Lindsay Gordon Mystery
Published on 30 Nov. 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: this is "Union Jack" under a different name.
Different title and different cover but don't be fooled, this isn't a Lindsay Gordon tale that has passed you by, it's "Union Jack".
Published on 27 Jun. 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis - 4th Lindsay Gordon Mystery, 30 Nov. 2009
Amazon Customer "maria2222" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Union Jack (Paperback)
Journalist Lindsay Gordon is more accustomed to investigating murder than being suspected of it. But when union boss Tom Jack falls to his death from her bedroom window after a spectacularly public row with Lindsay, it seems the only way to prove her innocence is to find the real culprit. In an investigation that draws her inexorably into her own past, Lindsay is forced to confront hard moral choices before she can clear her name.

My favourite Lindsay Gordon mystery so far! It took a while to "get to know" her, but now she figures as a much more well-rounded person - obviously still with a knack for getting herself into trouble and not always at her most tactful, but that's what makes her worth following.

Some great laughs in this one as well - love the excerpts from the union handbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing a Title, 31 May 2011
M. S. Watson - See all my reviews
It is indeed correct to say that 'Conferences are Murder' is the same storyline as 'Union Jack'; the former is the title of the American publication.Union Jack

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: this is "Union Jack" under a different name., 27 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Conferences Are Murder (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Less good than her other series, for me, 23 Aug. 2007
P. Bell (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Union Jack (Paperback)
I'd say more an average read, but I prefer the Tony Hill and Kate Branigan series, which are good. I don't think I'd by another Lyndsey Gordon; the plot relied too much on lucky breaks and coincidences than on proper reasoning, and the lesbianism was a bit too intrusive for me. There wasn't any charm to any of the characters, and there are back references to earlier books. Unusually for McDermid books, I was always concious that I was reading a book, rather than being immersed in watching the story unfold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Jun. 2014
Garry Iles "Gazza" (UK) - See all my reviews
great

3.0 out of 5 stars Lesbians and Lucky Breaks, 14 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Union Jack (Kindle Edition)
I am no prude but I am afraid I do not want Val McDermid's knowledge of gay and lesbian sex rammed down my throat. The plot of this book was unconvincing in that the resolution of the mystery relied on far too many unlikely lucky breaks. The background was also self-indulgently based on the author's experience of NUS conferences: I can see why she may have been disillusioned with these events but I just found it somewhat tedious to read about the time wasted on procedural wrangles and alcohol consumption.

I have read a couple of other Val McDermid novels - Beneath the Bleeding (where the descriptions of the effects of gay sex on certain parts of the anatomy were as sparse to be just about tolerable) and A Place of Execution - but I do not think this was up to the same standard.

I shall persevere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Union Jack, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Union Jack (Kindle Edition)
Like the other Lindsey Gordon by McDermid once you start you get gripped onto the plot and have difficulty putting it down till you reach the end. Another good book. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars A step into the past...., 2 Feb. 2013
Kay (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Union Jack (Paperback)
Union Jack Intrigue and murder among the members of the NUJ, struggles for power and corruption exposed. Set between two union conferences over two eras the great differences between male and female members of the trade union movement are exposed to the reader's eye and written with plenty of insight, insight that only a former journalist could truthfully provide. As usual the hot-headed Lindsay is in the thick of it, so much that she's suspected of murderous intent. 'Union Jack' is a larger than life character and one I somehow feel I've met before in real life, leaving me wondering if the character was actually based of a real union official.

5.0 out of 5 stars Val McDermid shows her skill again, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Union Jack (Kindle Edition)
Great fun, not as dark as later moves bur draws you in with believable characters and intriguing plot. For all murder mystery fans who enjoy quality writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected - but very good, 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Union Jack (Kindle Edition)
I was a little surprised to begin with as I know the author more for the Wire in the Blood/Dr Tony Hill books and series. However, once I got started I was gripped and the twists and turns kept me reading avidly.

Conferences Are Murder
Conferences Are Murder by Val McDemud (Paperback - April 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01