on 20 May 1998
My aunt told me once that the best way to learn a knitting technique was to pick a project that you really wanted to do, and then just do it with no fear of the potential difficulty. This is the ideal book for that philosophy.
The comments on the history of knitting and lace shawls are extremely interesting, as are the sections on shawl care and how to wear a shawl. I would have liked to see a little more description of how a traditional shetland lace shawl was made using the old techniques, especially the actual process of "grafting" as that is a new term to me despite 30 years of knitting experience. There is really no discussion of elementary knitting, but that is not inappropriate for an audience of advanced knitters. There are already a lot of books out there to teach how to cast on and do the basic stitches.
There are patterns for eight shawls in this book, but what I found fascinating was the possibility to design an unlimited number of your own unique creations. She breaks the elements of design down into simple steps with advice for choosing patterns for each section and intructions on how to shape and combine the different elements. There are pages and pages of beautiful lace patterns to use for the body, border, and edgings. It's the ultimate yarn puzzle book and it makes me itch to get my fingers on some good one-ply wool.
on 5 April 1999
Before getting this book, my knitting had been limited to Arans and Guernseys.
This book is a great introduction to designing and creating your own lace creations. Starting with triangles, the author step-by-step explains the different shapes in which shawls traditionally are knit. While there are 8 patterns for shawls in the back of the book, I think the author's point in writing this is to get your own creative juices flowing. She shows you that it is possible to be a designer.
For me, the charts of different lace stitch patterns are more of help than hindrance, as the review below suggests. By using the charts and some graph paper, the designer can "see" what the design is going to look like before it is even knitted.
Overall this is a great book!
on 19 October 2006
This book is just what I was looking for and very practical and easy to follow, there arent many like it at this price that give a good variery of patterns that are easily evolved into your own designs.
on 17 June 1998
Ever since I was a small child and saw someone using knitting needles, I became fascinated with the rhythm and movement of them. Ms. Watermans' book has taken this fascination one step further with her history and explanation of these great wraps. These are not your grandma's doilies! They are geometrically complex puzzles that grow to pass on to future generations. Knitters beware! This book will give you the itch to knit one of the beautiful pieces.
on 8 January 2013
Very useful book. I knit a lot of shawls and use this book all the time for inspiration and patterns.
on 3 April 2013
I chose this because the book uploads and everything around it is safe and fast and good handling. I would sincerely recommend this to my friends.
on 5 April 2010
Interesting if you want to know more about the history of lace knitting but only very few actual projects offered.
on 5 September 2014
This book has a lot of information and ideas for knitted shawls.
I would prefer to have more information for shaping.
on 19 August 2011
Buying this was quite an expensive mistake.
Projects are not very exciting - why Amazon can't show pictures of projects before purchase I do not know. After all, they invite us to "Look inside" but not at projects.
The "How to" section was short - and could have been found on any knitting website for free.
on 12 April 2014
Did not like this book, brought by mistake tried to delete but hit the wrong button not sure how to stop purchase.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse