4.0 out of 5 stars The harsh reality that confronts much contemporary optimism, 10 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
A book about helplessness, tyranny and profit. But also about leadership, democracy, the human spirit and prosperity. Though addressing the fundamental Christian principle of choosing service before self-interest and carrying a message for church management and denominational structures, Block's focus is entirely in the world and the workplace. From the fragmentation of our lives we are all familiar with he leads us to wholeness, integration and reconciliation and writes about a redistribution of power, partnership and community. But if all this makes it sound theoretical, far from it. It is absolutely practical, down-to-earth and built on solid day-to-day issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Todays management for a successful business., 27 July 1996
By A Customer
Peter Block has taken the principles and Edward Demming and put them into a usable methodology that will not only help any business owner focus on the essentials necessary for success but will also inspire members of the team at all levels.
Block, who has written two other books on management, focuses on the prime issue for a success business: that those who are doing are the one's who should be making the decision on how to serve the customer. He writes that the old way of doing business, that of patriarchy, can never succeed in today's world that demands business be able to move with the customer at a moment's notice.
The books is insightful about how to go about implementing a pardign change in a business and in your way of thinking about how business is being conducted.
Block speaks of bottom up management, where the key to success as a mnanager is not to be in control, yet still be responsible.
It is a life-changing typoe of book for any manager who can see that this is a style of management which will set free the entire work force to become successful stewards of your business.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "bottom line" is: Regard for others, 22 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest (Paperback)
Block has a way of taking us outside the realm of day-to-day management without falling into unreality. In Leveraging People and Profit, Bernie Nagle and I present the concept of the altrupreneur -- one who conducts an enterprise with conspicuous regard for others. Block does an outstanding job of presenting the why and how of doing this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your standard Management Reading, 4 Aug. 1998
By A Customer
Peter Block takes the basic principles of leadership and inverts them into a whole new way of looking at just who the customer is, what customer service is, and exactly who it is that does the work. It opens your eyes to a whole new way of framing the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book takes Servant Leaderhip to a new level, 16 April 1997
By A Customer
Reading Stewardship changed the way I approach all my efforts both in my own leaderhsip and supervisory capacities and in my advising and educating of students. It demands of us a new understanding of our responsibility for the lifelong learning and development of all we come in contact with. It offers exciting and dynamic possibilities if we are willing to take the ultimate risk and be accountable without having control. These concepts are not for the timid.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Gang-Friendly Environment" - "Redefining Gang", 12 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
"Stewardship" is the title of the book that seemed to jump right off the shelf at me. As I skimmed through it, I was surprised at what I read. For here was a book with a single-word title communicating the missing principle of my new business. Once at home I didn't put the book down until I finished it. The three principles of The Web Group are now in place: Harmony, Stewardship, & Prosperity (HSP). The Web Group operates and lives by these three guiding principles. We knew there was a third principle missing after Harmony and Prosperity came to us. We were trying to make "Service to Others" and "Contribution" work, but nothing quite works as does "Stewardship." The title and the content of Brock's visionary work supports the very essence of what The Web Group stands for. The state of Harmony provides space for Stewardship which brings Prosperity in all areas of one's life. Our primary clientele is anyone 18 to 24 years old, struggling in life, and has a business idea. Don Healy, Founding Partner What's the best way to contact someone for additional information on Stewardship?

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a shocking book. Prepare to be changed., 23 July 1999
By A Customer
Block asks disturbing questions in powerful ways. On important topics concerning our civilisation and the role of organisations in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book captures the essence of my new consulting business, 29 April 1998
By A Customer
Peter Block read my mind, articulated my dream, and has captured the essence of my new consulting business, Revolution Consulting. I was profoundly moved to read that someone has so clearly articulated the things I struggle with every day in promoting a new order in business. The distinction between traditional or even new-age leadership and the possibilities that stewardship creates was crystal clear and brilliantly articulated. This book was an inspiration to someone that has taken up the cause in the real world. It will be an on-going source of inspiration and support.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most significant business book I've read., 1 Feb. 1997
By A Customer
Block demonstrates that centralized control, patriarchy and paternalism in organizations are bankrupt behavior which must be replaced by genuine partnership in which workers are truly empowered and share full accountability for the success of the enterprise. It is a compelling call to at last inject our political and social ideal, democracy, into the way we do business, government, and education. If we can move, even a little way, in this direction of serving and being served, the world will be a better place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stewardship...of best intentions, 21 Mar. 2013
Simon Osborne (Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It is clear from the start that great care has been taken in putting this book together not least in the thought behind the choice of cover art.

The majority of us have been trained to deliver top down patriarchal parenting management strategies; this is how we have been trained, and this has been ingrained in our management/leadership DNA. The greatest challenge of this superbly crafted book is agreeing that that this philosophy is not a sustainable, desirable or necessary way to productively engage in our corporate environments, yet not quite believing Blocks proposition can be made real.

Block however signposts, way-marks and identifies many of the objections and barriers to `how' do we deliver stewardship with a pointed accuracy and suggests that we will do so by choosing adventure and acceptance of the fact there is no save path; I would also add through great courage and determination. Yet the results of stewardship laid out by Block are compelling enough aims to make many of us seek and take on the adventure to overcome the reality and practicalities of our challenging corporate cultures, no matter how overwhelming they may seem to be, with a knowing trust that our hearts eager arrow carries with it our best intentions.

Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest
Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest by Peter Block (Paperback - 1 April 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01