5.0 out of 5 stars Worth more than it's weight in Gold
Having read all the hype about how good this book was, I decided to buy it and form my own opinion of it. First of all, I no longer see this as a purchase, but instaed an 'investment'. Invest £15 in this book, and you will see a fantastic return within a few weeks.
Harrington on Hold 'Em (HOH), if you study it and inwardly digest, will give you a significant edge...
Published on 5 Oct. 2005 by Mr. J. J. Niland

3.0 out of 5 stars Good facts, but the play is too tight for the lower leagues.
I cannot fault the factual information in this book, it is fairly well laid out and well explained (although the exercise diagrams, text and questions are split over several pages, which makes for frequent back and fourth).

But the truth is since reading this book, my game play has gone worse. Harrington is coming from the angle of 200-1000+ player...
Published on 23 Sept. 2008 by Warehouse

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No Hold'em library is complete without it, 11 May 2005
This review is from: Harrington on Hold 'em: Strategic Play v. 1: Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments (Paperback)
There are many poker books out there. Some are insightful, but written with an unengaging, dry style (Sklansky, for example). Many are written with the folksy style of an excellent poker player but mediocre writer (I'm thinking of Cloutier, particularly)
Harrington on Hold'em, however, is wonderfully written. Clear, consise, and easy-to-follow prose draws in the reader - and what they're drawn into is an excellent walkthrough of the thought processes involved at each stage of a no-limit hold'em hand.
The authors explain the fundmentals of hold'em, such as pot-odds and implied odds, how to read a table, and how to play against various styles of player. They then go through starting hand requirements, pre-flop play, flop-play, turn and river play. The highlights of the book, though, are the many example hands at the end of the chapter. Here, Harrington takes the reader, step-by-step, through various situations, explains the analysis needed, and recommends a course of action based on the analysis.
It's hard to see how any recreational hold'em player could fail to get something out of this book. For a novice who has a decent grasp of the basics, it should be a revelation. I can't wait for volume two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise your game with Harrington, 12 Mar. 2008
Mr. S. J. Downing "Stevie D" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Harrington on Hold 'Em shows you how to eliminate the guesswork from poker. It's all about weighing up the game's various factors and probabilities in such a way that the decisions to check, call, raise and fold almost make themselves. That means a small amount of mathemetics, but trust me: speaking as a total non- number-cruncher, it's easy to digest. The writing is accessable and drily witty, which sugars the heavier pills.

This book is indispensible for established beginners looking to make that frustratingly elusive leap to intermediate and higher levels of poker skill. If terms like 'flopping trips' and 'suited connectors' mean nothing to you, then this book is not for you - yet. Other books presumably - and certainly the web - cover the basics of poker and poker terminology; once you have that covered, Harrington's meisterwerk is your next stop. The book overhauls and restructures your game, doing most of its good work as far as I was concerned, within its first few chapters. That said, it still has so much to teach after that, dropping nuggets of bankable poker wisdom with each page.

At the time of writing this, I'm two-thirds of the way through the book. However, those two thirds alone are easily worth the entry fee and the five-star review. I play regularly in an amateur poker league at a local pub, and yesterday's game was the first live 'bricks and mortar' game I played since reading the book. I won. Without a doubt I have Dan Harrington to thank rather than my own natural ability (or lack of it). I can't think of a better personal endorsement than that.

Like Poker? Buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb tourney stratergy book, 3 April 2005
A brilliant insight into the play and thought processes of a quite outstanding player.
Before I read this book I thought I as pretty clued up on general stratergy in the early/mid part of tourneys.........after reading this book I realise that there were atleast a few things that I had been neglecting.
Definitly worth getting from the player just starting out to the veteran campaigner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hold em' book out on the market!, 16 Sept. 2005
I got this book a couple of weeks ago and have read it twice already! It is the most insightful poker book I have ever read. The easy reading and relevant facts have improved my game no end.
Dan Harrington brings so many important playing facts to light, which are simple, but are often over looked by beginners. I think every poker player out there can take something away from this book, especially beginners.
The book really gets you to think like a poker player and to understand how and why to make certain moves. I found the problems at the end of each chapter particularly helpful and allowed me to apply what I'd learnt in the chapter to actual hands.
If I could give this book 6 stars I would, buy it!!
Dan you're my hero!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best!, 28 Jun. 2005
This is one of the best poker books I have ever read. It focuses on no limit tournaments, but much of the advice can easily be applied to cash games. The structure of the book is very easy to follow; initially disucssing general themes like position, timing and styles of play, but then focusing on specific hands and how to play for before the flop to the river. The section on continuation and probe betting is particularly good, which is often the weakest part of most players' games. The problems at the end of each section are extremely detailed and help to cement ideas in one's mind. The book is also very well written. Many of the ideas can be understood by someone relatively new to the game, but for the experienced player I believe this book is even more useful. I have read it twice now, and the second time I picked up on many interesting ideas, which I hadn‚€™t noticed the first. I cannot recommend this book highly enough - buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tournament Poker Sorted!!, 24 Mar. 2008
C. Barnes (uk) - See all my reviews
Well as Gordon Ramsay might say if he was a poker player,Harrington on hold em:expert strategy series is tournament poker DONE!! From total beginner to advanced player anyone and everyone can learn from these books.Harrington leaves nothing untouched as he takes you through every aspect of tournament poker from what hands to play in what posistion,against what kind of oppenents,to pot odds,to how to bet,when to bet and why to bet in different situations.I have all three in the series and can not put it any more simple then buy,read,improve,read again,improve some more.If you want to know what tournament poker is all about well you will not find better then this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, absolutely awesome., 10 July 2005
What a great book. 375 pages and I read it in two days. If you know the basics and want to know how to play tournaments, this is ideal. The examples he gives let you see how poker hands work, where the mistakes are made and what you should be looking for beside your cards. Perhaps if you're already an expert this would be too simple for you, but otherwise its worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dan's book is an instant classic, 2 May 2007
Poker literature had really been missing a comprehensive guide to NL tournament play written by an accomplished and well-respected author, and Dan Harrington's new books (there's 3 volumes) fit that bill perfectly.

Here's my take on vol. 1

Pros:

- VERY clearly written (compared to works by peers such as Sklansky, Malmuth, or Ciaffone

- Examples at the end of each chapter are great

- the guy made 2 WSOP final tables >> obviously knows his stuff

- Unlike most poker strategy books that espouse only a single playing style, Harrington openly admits that different approaches work better for different styles of players, and even praises many of his peers for mastering these alternate styles - he's VERY humble and respectful in this regard.

- By FAR the best section, in my opinion, was the authors' discussion of when to call what you suspect might be an opponent's bluff. That's probably the situation that gives me the most trouble, but Harrington clearly and explicitly discusses the considerations that you should run through, including assigning specific probabilities to the possibility that you're facing a stone-cold bluff; it was utterly invaluable.

Cons:

- a little frustrating that I had to wait a full year for Vol. 2 to come out so that I could improve my endgame strategy

- A few typographical errors, but I hear these have been corrected in subsequent printings.

Take all of my feedback with a grain of salt, because I really have stuck mostly to online tournaments, but I'm sure that his advice applies expertly to live casino tournies as well. Personally, I like online play better - I was a little hesitant at first, but after taking the plunge, I don't understand what all the worry is about. Read some site reviews and get sign-up bonus codes at pokercroaker.com that will help you pick which poker site to try. Harrington's book may also be the first one I've ever read that includes substantive discussions of the difference between live and online play, and goes as far as to give different quizzes for each style of play...great read Dan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for poker, 6 July 2005
I thought I was an ok poker player but there were questions I wanted answering that just couldnt be answered - what position is good to raise an Ace rag? How much to raise with various hands? Before I'd been winging it and winning a tournament some times but more often than not just having a good game and then going out when it really mattered.
Now I am hitting more and more final tables and often 1st or second. This book doesnt do the detail such as the complete odds calculator, but it does explain pot odds and how much to bet in all sorts of circumstances, its clearly written in a very easy style and I have now ordered volume 2. It takes a lot of the chance out of poker and I can honestly say that this book has led to me winning more tournaments.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, 1 Jun. 2006
I have an extensive collection of poker books from the aggressive teachings of Doyle Brunsons Super System to the Mathmatical works of David Sklanskey. This is by far the best book in my humble opinion.

Harrington takes you step by step through basic strategy and subtle plays. When to bet, where to gamble. How to maximise pay outs on big hands and how to minimise losses on marginal ones.

The text is non complicated and the diagrams easy on the eye.

I still recommend reading other texts however this must be a priority study aid for No Limit Hold em.

Matt Wright