5.0 out of 5 stars A masterful guide to the "anti-Western" aesthetic.
So simple--the beauty of things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete--yet so powerful. A wonderful antidote to the classical Western aesthetic of things massive, enduring, gorgeous, and slick. This book has helped clarify and fine tune my thinking about the various modes of beauty in architecture, my profession.
Published on 11 Jun 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Empty yet Pretty, like a Fabergé Egg
Published on 18 Jan 2011 by Dave Redman

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterful guide to the "anti-Western" aesthetic., 11 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Wabi-Sabi: For Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars simple and great, 23 Sep 2009
a very compact book with essential things to think about and to consider when you create something in design, paintings etc... It is always with me that book and im glad I buy this

5.0 out of 5 stars The wisdom of simplicity, 13 Nov 2009
Rosa Vasconcellos "reader tyszki" (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
Wabi-sabi is a wonderful book about the impermanence of life, the value of simplicity,the importance of letting go, of that which cannot be perfect because true life is not about perfection. Phylosophical and poetic, it is great reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift for artists, 16 Dec 2013
This is the second time I've brought this book as a gift for a creative loved one. Hope one day to buy my own copy. A really beautiful looking book on the Japanese aesthetic wabi-sabi - the acceptance of transience and imperfection. Recommend it for anyone that sees beauty in the imperfect, impermanent and incomplete...

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful reading experience, 18 Nov 2013
There was nothing I didn't like about this book, it captivated me from the first page to the last. Easy to read and also very informative, it presents clear notions of what Wabi-Sabi is and what it is not. It goes down to the roots of the concept and follows its evolution through time and space. The comparisons with our Western art principles are also very clear and helpful. I'd recommend this book to almost anyone who likes reading and very specially to some Western authors who publish their own books on Wabi-Sabi techniques using colours and textures in great excess, that are exactly the contrary to the Wabi-Sabi approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love wabi wabi, 15 Nov 2013
A simple book, well laid out with arti grainy photos throughout.
A book for all who want a simple explanation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wabi Sabi, 14 Mar 2013
I enjoyed reading this book about Wabi-Sabi. Very interesting and proves to be a great way of life if one can stay with the idea!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 2 Mar 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book about Wabi Sabi. It will come in very useful for me as a textile artist...thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple things, 28 July 2004
S. Thomas (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
While this book did not offer anything remarkably new to me, its message is delivered in a way that is different to the majority. As a Zen Buddhist I feel it deserves a place in every Buddhist's library because of its refreshing approach to these familiar topics.

2.0 out of 5 stars Empty yet Pretty, like a Fabergé Egg, 18 Jan 2011
Having discovered this interesting aesthetic, I first did some internet research and then ordered a book. Having read the book, I find myself wondering if the author did the same internet research I did. I close its sparse pages feeling no more enlightened than I did when I started, and the actual content is utterly minimal: clear, large type and plenty of page-size photographs of "natural" objects like leaves and wood-grain which, while thematically superfluous, do serve to fill up the space not occupied by what little text there is.

I had hoped for an edifying explanation of a concept I was assured was elusively complex while being deceptively simple. Perhaps I am myself too simple to understand, but I find it more likely that the rambling, equivocal essay contained within the slim yet admittedly pretty binding betrays an author who no more understands the concept than I do, and as such he is worthless to me as a guide to it. I would give it away, were it not such a nice-looking thing to furnish a shelf with.

Wabi-Sabi: For Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers
Wabi-Sabi: For Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers by Leonard Koren (Paperback - 1 Nov 2003)
Used & New from: 4.95