5.0 out of 5 stars The one and only!
Published on 20 Oct 2008 by William Mclaughlan

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit too simple
Although this book starts well it ends with a wimper. The advice and information in the first few short chapters is precise and to the point and so obviously written by someone who knows his art.
Published on 30 Oct 2007 by Jm Sm Nicholls

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The one and only!, 20 Oct 2008
William Mclaughlan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In the Blink of an Eye: A Perspective on Film Editing (Paperback)
If you're going to edit a film or music video or any kind of media like that THIS IS THE ONLY BOOK YOU NEED TO READ. I don't make that statement lightly. Murch's book is without a doubt the best book I've read on the theory, thought-process and intention behind WHY an editor makes an edit. There are a multitude of boring books (I know because I bought many of them) on editing and why you should do this and that. Whatever. Murch has won loads of awards for his work and even directed a feature himself (Return to Oz) so he knows a much about the filmmaking process.

This book will not be helpful during the edit of your footage. You will not be able to turn to page nineteen and find out when to use a jump-cut to best effect. What this book helped me to see was the approach you need to have towards the editing process as a whole. Maybe not even just as an editor but as a filmmaker and story-teller too.

I can't stress enough how useful reading this book was to me. I used to be very frightened of getting into the edit but when I read this I found a new way of looking at my footage and became able to accept that things are different. Murch's writing style is very informal and as a result I think that the book requires a few reads (at least I've read it three times now and I get a better understanding of his ideologies each time).

Forget all the other rubbish people charge through the nose for. All you need to teach yourself editing is the software, footage and this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-Provoking, 28 Jun 2010
I found this little book to be very interesting. The title refers to an editing theory of Walter Murch, in which he ponders why we accept film editing as seamless and "truthful" at all; nothing in our collective history has prepared us to see the world in a series of disjointed fragments. In short, this theory proposes that we accept discontinuity in films (editing) because we see them in the same way that we might a dream and that "good" cuts should occur when we would naturally blink our eyes. Fascinating stuff for anyone interesting in film editing or editing theory.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only Textbook I haven't been able to put down.., 20 Feb 2010
A. Alexander (UK) - See all my reviews
This book was bought for me for my Birthday and after a short amount of time it became my favourite gift. I am studying TV Post Production at University and this book has helped hugely. It briefly goes through some history of previous editing systems which is something handy to know. In terms of learning - there isn't much technical information, BUT there is so much more in this book. If nothing else, I now simply think differently about editing, it's made things I hadn't previously thought about a lot simpler to understand!

I still rate this book as my favourite for editing. Murch talks about his past experiences, which I have noticed in other reviews here that his little anecdotes aren't loved by everyone, but I think they are fantastic. They don't need to be scientific, editing isn't scientific, it is an art, and so the anecdotes throughout this short book make it very interesting to read. They explain simple editing theory which you could repeat to your Nan and she would understand, but they are not patronizing to the reader at all. It's such a fun book to read compared to other editing theory. It's the only textbook I haven't been able to put down, wanting to read the next chapter to find out what happened next! Basically, learn little facts and the odd trick, open your mind slightly, and just enjoy it. I did so on the train, and loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good if film editing is of interest to you, 9 Jun 2004
Really good and very interesting.
Walter Murch is a film hero and this book goes some way to explain why. It tells in his own words how and why he works and is refreshing in that the writer talks about new technology in a positive light, despite being grounded in traditional methods.
Going in to detail about when and why we blink he takes this and talks about when to cut and how blinking so important. If the audeince blinks at the wrong time then you've lost them. ie Don't cut when the actor blinks - cut when the audeince blinks.
Stuff like that and lots more.
A modest book, jam packed with stuff to think about.
I think I'll edit my next film standing up - see if his advice helps my film.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB, 28 Mar 2006
If you want to get into video / film editing then buy this book as its a wonderful insight into the editing process - this guy has been editing since the 60s-present and its written in a really freindly, matey sort of way - very ingrossing and intriguing. The book is also fairly short so can be read quite quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessity for any film editor in training, 3 Mar 2008
I found this insight to Walter Murch and the world of editing truly remarkable. Once I'd started the book I wanted to know more, whether it was about the techniques of editing or how to judge audience reactions of screenings or what is going on in the editing world in terms of what software is out there and available with the advantages and disadvantages clearly listed for you.
Overall, a truly enjoyable read and a useful insight into the mind of an editor.
A must-read for any trainee film editor.

5.0 out of 5 stars The editing Bible, 9 Nov 2007
Mr. J. E. Barker "barkertron" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
An absolute must for anyone even remotely interested in film and film practice. If you haven't read it, read it! and if you have read it, read it again!

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit too simple, 30 Oct 2007
However the main theory of the book, that you can edit on an actors blinks is too simple and banal. The theory is based on some ad hoc anecdotal evidence that is lacking in credibility or any scientific rigour. The idea that we finish each idea with a blink is a good undergraduate psychology project but not much else. The idea is used to explain Murchs' whole philosophy of editing and soon wears very thin.
Otherwise a great little book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Information For All Editors, 23 Sep 2010
M. Graham (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm about to embark on a masters in post production editing and a friend recommended I read this to help me with my course. All I can say is, the man is brilliant and you learn so much about how to go about editing. Obviously it's not designed to copy everything he does but you learn methods that you can adapt to suit your methods. Well worth buying for anyone interested in editing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, but invaluable for any filmmaker, 17 May 2010
Not only a unique perspective on film editing, but a great insight into the mind of someone at the heart of an ever evolving technical/creative medium who is hugely informed and articulate.

A must read for any filmmaker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

In the Blink of an Eye: A Perspective on Film Editing
In the Blink of an Eye: A Perspective on Film Editing by Walter Murch (Paperback - 1 Sep 2001)
8.39