5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best -- helps me immensely.
Published on 23 Feb 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic, not always that helpful
This came highly recommended but to be honest there are many other screenwriting guides which are far, far superior to this one. It's very basic, more of a write-by-numbers guide than anything else. It may be a good place to start, but if you really want help then Robert McKee and Linda Seger are the people to check out.
Published on 10 Sep 2002 by Mr. A. P. Rennie

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best -- helps me immensely., 23 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting and Selling Your Script (Paperback)
This is easily the best book on the market. Clear, concise, and accurate. As a working writer, I refer to it almost daily. It helps me focus and provides valuable information that has helped me further my career. This is particularly true for the marketing, formatting, and resources sections. I am absolutely amazed at how much usuable information is contained in this book. Kudos to the author! This is a must-have book for every writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book out there...and now I have an agent, 29 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I've read over 20 screenwriting books, and this one is clearly the best for at least two reasons: 1) It covers every possible topic including a selling plan (with worksheets), a list of writing contests, an explanation and examples of the new spec style (this really helped me), query and pitching examples--everything. 2). By applying the information, my script has come alive! What's more, I finally found an agent. You can't go wrong with this wonderful book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic, not always that helpful, 10 Sep 2002
Mr. A. P. Rennie "Ren" (Newcastle) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Edition only improves!, 23 Aug 1998
By A Customer
I recently read the 3rd edition of this book and must say that this book only improves if you can believe that. Over 120 pages have been added including an entire new book on the Spec Style that takes the reader through pages of one of Trottier's purchased screenplays. He now uses examples from many new movies like GOOD WILL HUNTING, TITANIC, THE TRUMAN SHOW, and many others. He even uses examples from movies that haven't actually been produced yet, only purchased, to show what he means by high-concept loglines. The single best book available on screenwriting!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I sold my screenplay, 22 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I've been at this for three years and wasn't getting anywhere. Because of Dave's book, I finally sold a script for big money. The book is crisply written, easy to follow, and it's all meat. I used the worksheets and the marketing instructions and now I'm a working writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Done Deal's Review of "The Screenwriter's Bible", 25 Jun 1999
By A Customer
"Trottier's guide is absolutely indispensable. The 'six books in one' guide is for any screenwriter who wants to write their screenplay, improve their screenplay, format their screenplay, and market and sell their screenplay.
"The Screenwriter's Bible gives you more information that you could get out of almost any other screenwriting book or seminar. You couldn't learn this much information if you kidnapped Syd Field and made him personally teach you the aspects of the screenplay."

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputtdownable, 5 Feb 2010
Ms. H. Wallace-brown "Samstheman" (Planet Eartth I think) - See all my reviews
I did a screenwriters course and certainly could have saved money by reading this book instead. It covered much more than what the course did and is written in a style which is bright, witty and hopeful. It comes highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this and love it., 8 July 1999
By A Customer
I actually didn't buy it here. I bought it at ScreenStyle.com because they have free shipping but it's an excellent book. If you're not careful you might think it's just for formatting but there is a lot more "how-to" write a screenplay. Great for beginners and those rare professionals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - if you write screenplays, you NEED THIS BOOK!, 18 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I bought this book while in the process of writing a screenplay which just wasn't going anywhere. I read the whole book cover to cover and by the end of it I knew exactly where I was going with the story and what to do to get it "working". I am now at work on another script (my fourth) and intend to use Mr Trottier's book as a guide throughout the whole process.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, 25 July 2011
This is a very useful book, but there are other, more accessible books out there.

However, I would recommend this as one of many books to learn about screenwriting, but not on its own.

Some of many books that should be read:
The Hero with a Thousand Faces
Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting: A Step-by-Step Guide from Concept to finished Script
How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make