Format: Perfect Paperback|Change

on 2 February 2012
This book is fantastic! It leaves nothing unsaid and has been revolutionary for me while working with the vulnerable children I am involved with as a psychotherapist. It should be in every classroom.
"Teach your children well; give them a code that they can live by." -- David Crosby, 1969

How I wish this delightful book existed when I was child!

This is an IDEAL teaching tool of empowerment for younger children (preschoolers) about learning to recognize danger. It is kid-friendly without being condescending, serious without being frightening. This 32-page masterpiece is one of the lead horses in the child sexual abuse prevention race.

For many years, children were warned about the cliche stranger, but the issue of predators children knew was rarely if ever addressed. When I was a child, I honestly thought a double standard existed - improper touching was only frowned upon by one's caretakers if done by strangers. During those years, I wondered why nobody ever said if children had any recourse if they were confronted with "bad touches" by people they knew.

This book COMPLETELY dispels the myth of the stranger bearing candy, lurking on playgrounds and near schools if indeed he ever even existed. Statistics have shown time and again that "bad touches" are very rarely done by strangers! It is timeless; the message of assertiveness and respect for boundaries and the human body at large can never be over emphasized.

This book provides a checklist in the form of very clearly written examples of danger signals, e.g. bribes, gifts, threats that a predator or potential predator might use. Each time an example is given, the words "RED FLAG!" are used. The child in the example is supplied with good verbiage and to shout, "NO! NO WAY!" quite loudly so as to be heard. The crucial message of telling a parent or some other trusted adult is stressed along with the equally crucial message that abuse is not always carried out by strangers. In fact, abusers are very seldom strangers.

What sets this gem apart is that it asks "what if" questions and some of the questions include relatives, e.g. "what if your [fill in the blank] asks to see you naked and touch your private parts and offers to buy you a gift if you keep that secret?" THINK: DANGER, SCREAM RED FLAG! SAY: "No! No way!" Be loud and clear! DO: Get the heck out of there! Tell your mom or your dad something happened that was very bad." That is the refrain in this book.

Just about any possible scenario is given in this book. The child is reassured that what predators do or try to do is never the child's fault and it is important that the child go to a trusted adult IMMEDIATELY. Calling 911 as an option is also given. This book is ideal for children 2 on up. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is something that I think all families and educators of young children will find extremely beneficial.
on 2 May 2013
This is an absolutely fantastic book, covering some very difficult topics in a child friendly way. My son is 5yrs and responded well to it. I have bought lots of similar books and this is one of the best. The author uses the concept of red flag people and green flag people, which is very easy to understand. This is excellent, because even now, months after the book, we use this. I often ask James - is that a red light person or a green light person, to practice, and he enjoys getting the answer right.
on 4 December 2013
This is a good text for getting the clear message across, the only reason I gave it a 4 star is that it is very American and some of it needs translating to children in England so they understand. Would recommend as I have not found anything else out there better to date...
on 19 October 2013
Good to use as discusion point......very American so needs some explaining to children. Very important message for children to respect themselves and know what to do if they feel uncomfortable.
on 29 January 2016
A fantastic easy and clear book for children to follow. My little lad had no issues understanding the messages of this story and was keen to look over it again in his own time. Hes made no secret of telling people who red flags are and has become more aware of the dangers around him. A must have for all parents
on 18 January 2015
This should be issued to every child from about age 8. Easy to understand. Unlikely to be embarrassing. The world is changing fast and sadly children need to be smart about this at an early age . well done to the authors
on 21 November 2015
It wasn't a s good as I'd hoped. I read it first and then tried looking at it with my 7 year old son but it just passed over his head, maybe that's not a bad thing as it probably reflects his innocence but I'd hoped it would be a useful tool to open up issues. I think I've concluded that parents probably just need to try to talk to their children and only use a book as back up if they feel they need extra input.
on 21 July 2013
Good professional advice with all the correct words to use with children. A very child friendly book. Great advice, good topic.
on 11 January 2014
Overall this is a good book, with a very important message.
The wording and tone is very American and some of it was uncomfortable to read as it was fairly graphic. I picked and chose the bits I read out and changed some of the words used.