5.0 out of 5 stars *right-on shifting growth-tales of young women*, 1 July 1996
By A Customer
This review is from: Listen Up!: Voices from the Next Feminist Generation (Paperback)
I didn't agree with all the writers compiled in _Listen up_ and some of them pissed me off.
But that wasn't the point; there's enough preaching to the choir around here as it is. As
a feminist (whatever that means to you) I got angry with the woman who talked about her "quest
for the perfect body" and shook my metaphorical fist in the air in support of Nomy Lamm's
essay on fat oppression. Looking at this broad spectrum of women who consider themselves
"feminists," I was pleased with the diversity; readers of Listen Up will probably find their
preconceptions challenged. But as a personal support I feel it has the most value; despite the goofy
pink cover, it felt like my life. Right on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Girl Power!, 5 Mar 1999
By A Customer
All I have to say is girl power! The minute I opened this book I could not put it down. I wanted to know more and more of what these intelligent, and sometimes angry women wanted to say. I managed to reflect on many aspects of my own life and better myself. The essays chosen were essential topics for young women everywhere and all women of any age should read this, including non-feminists, maybe it will change their minds!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Snapshot of Current Young Feminist Thought, 10 Mar 1998
By A Customer
A recharging, thought-provoking, out-loud collection that proves that feminism and "Generation X" aren't like oil and water. This book was instrumental in my discovering of new aspects of my own feminism, as well as providing assurance that there are, indeed, others out there who think like I did. A really great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing book!, 5 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This book is amazing. I laughed, cried, and learned. I spent hours reading it aloud to friends and bought every member of my family a copy. Every young woman should have this on her shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars what I kept by my bedside in high school, 9 Nov 1998
By A Customer
If Kathleen Hannah screaming "You DO HAVE RIGHTS!" into my walkman headphones didn't wake me up, this book sure as hell did. I have loved it so much that I've given it away four times-- sometimes to complete strangers. It will open your eyes and I think its helped keep my friends alive. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Voices of Diversity, 3 Jan 1999
By A Customer
Lesbian, Native-American, bisexual, black, Jewish women -- all feminists -- tell their stories and share their views on being young feminists. It was interesting to learn about the experiences of women who are so different from me, but who share my feelings on feminism regardless. Still, as a straight, white woman with a boyfriend, I found it hard at times to identify with some of the women. But it was a very enjoyable book and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and educational read.

Listen Up!: Voices from the Next Feminist Generation
Listen Up!: Voices from the Next Feminist Generation by Barbara Findlen (Paperback - July 1995)
Used & New from: £0.36