1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple to Follow if You Read the Whole Book, 15 Jun. 2004
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Excel for Dummies (Paperback)
I recently had to use Excel in a way that I had never done before. Sometimes the "help" feature on Excel doesn't seem to answer my questions, so I decided to borrow this book from the library to look up my questions as I did the new tasks.
What I discovered first was that the index isn't very complete. Some of the answers I needed could be found by using the index, but most of the references I found then required me to read the book from front to back to find out related information. Most of the answers were not indexed, although they were in the book.
The second problem I had was that the terms used in the text were hard to track down, so even if a section was easy to find from the index some of the information was unintelligible to me.
So I went back and read the whole book, and followed it quite easily. I found all of my answers eventually.
I didn't like the examples very much. They were pretty juvenile and distracted me from learning the material.
I then compared this book to the Excel Bible which I had used recently for a similar purpose. I found the Excel Bible was much easier to use for reference, contained a lot more information, spelled out more ways to get the same tasks done and wasn't sound bound up in terminology.
If you want to get past doing only very simple tasks on Excel, you should plan to graduate to the Excel Bible. If you are confidence that you can read and understand new subjects, you can probably start with that book.

Excel For Dummies
Excel For Dummies by Greg Harvey (Paperback - 20 Oct. 1992)
Used & New from: £0.01