5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book for any Judoka
I bought this book recently and found it brilliant. I found useful pictures and information in this book that I haven't yet seen elsewhere. I found techniques both old and new (to me at least)and some favourites. Photos are great, very clear. The book includes several illegal techniques which are at the least interesting. I heartily recommend this book.
Published on 24 Nov. 2001 by r.pulman@ntlworld.com or Ray P...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to date
Sadly this book is quite out of date and does not contain information on newly banned throws and grading styles.
Usefull as a reference to learing throws. But contains nothing of great use that cannot be found easily on the internet without paying for the privilage. Try googleing the throws.
Useful to have all info in one pl;ace though.
Published on 27 Dec. 2008 by Pete Simpson "sims"

5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book for any Judoka, 24 Nov. 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A-Z of Judo, 27 Jan. 2003
Kevin Howell (Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The A-z of Judo (Special interest) (Paperback)
this book written by Sid Hoare an Olympic Judo player who trains in London is a very usefull book if your working your way up the grading system as you can find explanations of all the moves and tecniques which are stated in your judo license that you will require to move up to the next grade. this book has helped me a lot, I think it is Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and detailed - particularly on the grappling, 28 May 1999
This review is from: The A-z of Judo (Special interest) (Paperback)
I liked this book a lot, even though the majority of techniques are only honoured with a single picture (a few get up to three), the written descriptions are so well written that I didn't have any problems. Every picture seems to be the "right" picture.
I foolishly permitted my girlfriend to get a hold of the book, and was consequently stunned by the improvements in her groundwork skills, taking advantage of my mistakes in a way that she did not know how to before, and attempting (and sometimes getting) techniques that she had not known but days before. This, was without even practicing, just reading. That is how good the descriptions are - pr maybe how good "she" is.
The book is divided into sections of throws, holds, strangles/chokes, leg-locks, spine and neck-locks, and arm-locks and includes "official" though banned techniques also. Each one of equally high quality. The Japanese names are given for all techniques (with additional namings in situations of multiple-names) alongside english translations. The accuracy and effort that has gone into the book seems high (though I'm no pro uidoka). Syd himself points out that he has only shown the official Judo techniques named My 10th Dan Japanese. This means that some other great techniques are not there. I did not consider this to be a problem, though, as what was there was good.
We have not yet attempted the throws in the books, but I do not forsee any problems. The groundwork, though, was marvellous

5.0 out of 5 stars MMMMMMmmmmmmm Judo, 15 Dec. 2003
This review is from: The A-z of Judo (Special interest) (Paperback)
If you ever wanted to know every technique there is, then this is the book for you. However, if you want to talk philosophy or history of judo then go elsewhere.
I just wanted to expand the arsenal of moves, and success!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Judo in its entirety, 29 April 2006
This review is from: The A-z of Judo (Special interest) (Paperback)
This book contains every technique in judo. The author has done extensive research to catalogue every named judo techniques that exists. The pictures are good quality and easy to follow and the explanations are clear. The fact that the author has included techniques not allowed in competitions is a real treat. This book is a gem, and the most complete manual of judo that i have ever seen. A book oozing quality, such as this one for this rice is an absolute bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 17 Sept. 2003
This review is from: The A-z of Judo (Special interest) (Paperback)
Not much needs to be said of this very insightful book - it is not bogged down with multiple chapters on the history of Judo or the philosophy behind it - just good discussion and good application of technique. Judo is one the most easily accessible martial arts, but is I believe very misunderstood in terms of the completness of what it offers. Sid Hoare offers a very succinct very complete list of throws and holds and also includes the forgotten dangerous elements. "A-Z of Judo" to be corny, it does what it says on the tin!!! There is only one problem I can find with the book and that is the photos - I really wish they had had one person in a white gi and one person in a black gi rather than both the same: on occasions it gets difficult to see "whats going on", but that is a very small gripe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional book for theory and descriptive overview, 4 April 2000
This review is from: The A-z of Judo (Special interest) (Paperback)
This is a valuable book for anybody learning, or teaching, Ju-Jitsu as well as Judo. I use this as a main reference tool for my Martial Arts club instructors and students.

4.0 out of 5 stars Techniques that they didn't teach me in the dojo, 16 May 2011
This review is from: The A-z of Judo (Special interest) (Paperback)
This book makes a four star rating for me. The reason that it does not get five stars is that if you want to understand the detailed application of judo techniques for randori then there are better books available. I bought the book specifically to enhance my knowledge of so-called self-defence judo. The book illustrates and explains several techniques that are as the book clearly labels "forbidden in competition and randori". My understanding is that these techniques constituted part of Kano's original judo but are not allowed in free practice or competition because they are too dangerous. If your interest is in understanding the original judo then this book is a useful place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 20 Jun. 2008
D. Thompson "Tommo" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The A-z of Judo (Special interest) (Paperback)
Having just taken up Judo again after a 20 year layoff, i have just bought this book and greatly appreciate the content and photos that have been included. It has every throw, holdown, armlocks and even spine locks (didn't know they existed in Judo), which should be a fantastic reference going for my Brown belt (just got my Blue).
It's already cleared up quite a few question marks on various techniques that I had.

4.0 out of 5 stars A broad reference, but lacking some detail, 24 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The A-z of Judo (Special interest) (Paperback)
I've owned a copy of this book for over 10 years now, it's great reference book covering many throws, both legal and illegal. However most throws are demonstrated by one photo somewhere during execution, leaving out entry and finish. While the excellent narrative describes each throw from entry to finish, it can only go so far to make up for the lack of visual aid.

The A-z of Judo (Special interest)
The A-z of Judo (Special interest) by Syd Hoare (Paperback - Oct. 1993)
Used & New from: £0.95