on 28 July 1997
I've been looking for the opportunity to rave about this book. It is by far the best UNIX/Linux book I've ever read. The part that got my attention is that while it covers several different programming topics, it isn't afraid to get down to the details. From the program management tools to the low-level system calls, every line is explained. The text is full of examples to illustrate the concepts presented which include sockets, database structures, and inter-process communication. Not exactly introductory topics, but the writers have made them as straightforward as your first "Hello World" program. From shell scripting to CGI, it's all here; and in the same visually appealing style that distinguish other books by Wrox Press. I anxiously await a follow-up to Beginning Linux Programming.
on 20 September 2001
1) The chapters are in random order, 2) facts were plain wrong and out of date, 3) A big FAT book with little payoff for hours of reading. 3) examples overcomplicated, repetative, yet not diverse enough. 4) No CD with the examples on it.
example 1. Lets take the coverage of CVS. A basic example to get it (a) running locally, then (b) running on a server would suffice. Well (a) is present, but (b) is glib and plain incorrect - much time wasted as a result! - but got there in the end using help from a newsgroup.
example 2. The chapter on sockets is bad. After writing much overcomplicated code (not on a CD) what to you achieve? A machine that sends one character to itself!!. So its not useful. A simple UDP port viewer would be handy, but there are no UDP examples AT ALL. Funny, because it can be simple, I needed it, and its a beginners book.
In a book this fat a usefully organised appendix of examples on how to get things done fast would be handy - but no chance.
It seems to me the authors had historical knowledge, but working knowledge was just based on reading man pages rather than years of experience and refinement by repetition at the job.
on 4 August 2000
As a computer science student, I know how to code big apps. I know all the algoritms - all the theory. But when I want to write an FTP server, a kernel module or trap hairy signals - I turn to this book. If one is just hacking a little bit with Linux (even Unix) - it's a must! Very highly recommendable.
on 25 April 1999
I think for some topics, even the author double the number of pages, it won't help. In the sense, putting tons of stuff inside a single volume. This book really worthes the money. no nonsense at all, and a really good place to start,and a good reference too.
on 24 August 1998
This book has a lot of interesting topics, including interprocess communication. I felt that the authors gave you a great introduction to these topics and enough information to find the correct man pages and what to look for in purchasing further references.
I found this book to be a great help to me in my use of Linux, and also for programming tasks. I was already an intermediate user and beginning programmer and it has helped me become a better programmer.
The only problem is you will want to learn more and drop lots of money on follow up reading.
on 17 December 1997
I thought this book was well structured and informative. It gives the reader a good start into unix programming. I was a little disappointed though, as far as I can tell this book has little to do with specifically linux. Almost any of the example programs can be run on any unix machine. I've tried a lot of them on HPUX and freeBSD without any changes. Other than the misleading title the book is great, especially the process communication part on sockets, etc. If another book like this comes out then I hope it will have more to do with Linux in paticular.
on 12 June 1999
When I began this book, I was comfortable with Linux and I had written several C programs for Mac and Windows. I like the tutorial style of this and my other Wrox book, Beginning Access VBA Programming. The examples are clear and concise, and the book moves VERY quickly from basic to advanced concepts, which I prefer. However, I think more explanation of why the examples work is needed. Often, commands are introduced with no or little explanation, only to be explained later. This can be annoying. Also, you must be fairly comfortable with Linux to make use of the book. Also, I don't think you could follow this book if you've never done any programming before.
I would advise people using this and other Wrox "Beginning" books to have other reference books on hand, when concepts spring up without sufficient explanation. Also, spend more time with the examples and try to use the examples to write your own unique programs before moving on. It will take a little longer, but you'll learn better and faster in the long run.
on 12 January 1999
It just amazes me how the author's have made what should be reletively complex subjects so easy to understand. With just a small knowledge of C and about the same of using Linux/Unix I found myself writeing and understanding simple client/server application's using tcp/ip within half an hour of turning to the chapter on sockets. All the other subjects (Shell programming, Curses, file I/O, processes, threads, Java, CGI, HTML etc) are dealt with the same way.
If you are interested in Linux/Unix buy this excellent book.
on 30 April 1997
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in starting programming on Linux. It is not, however an introductory programming text and assumes basic knowledge of ANSI C - combined with any of the ANSI C beginner texts available you will be producing useable code in no time.
As well as C, the book touches briefly on other development systems on the Linux platform - Tcl/Tk, Interviews, Java and also HTML and CGI scripting.
An excellent book for any Linux nut!
on 9 February 1998
I am amazed at the author's ability to cover such a large amount of material in such depth while using a very digestable writing style. Each topic is carefully introduced and then explored in enough detail to be very usefull in real programs. The book makes oustanding use of example programs to demonstrate each topic. If you need to program Linux (or any UNIX for that matter), this book should be on your "buy" list.