I'd never heard of the Pie Society, but it's obvious they're a serious bunch of savoury pie munchers, and this book comes up with the goods, none of this apple, pumpkin and sweet pie nonsense - this one's mostly for carnivores, though there are some vegetable and fish pies. Tom Bridge's recipes are mostly sensible with a concentration on tastes and textures rather than the extraneous exotic ingredients that the current glut of pie books bungs in, trying try too hard to make their recipes distinctive. Particularly recommend the Lancashire pan pie (suet crust meat pie cooked in a frying pan) as a simple and tasty example of what you can achieve with this book.
on 5 November 2010
I always choose my books carefuly and over some time researching where I acually need to buy something or not? This book was no exception. Butr to my surprise the detailed recipies, ingredients and history have made this literary work a prize to behold for life.. I am a fan of pies any way and this book just serves to encourage me to continue to convert my chinese wife into the pie way of life.. Great book great value and well written.

Philip55
on 17 March 2014
I was looking for a book about pies and pasties, especially, forgotten and regional pies. This book looked like the closest thing I could find and I'm pretty satisfied with it. It was cheap, the book is beautiful, the recipes are great and easy and there is as much history about the more traditional regional pies as there are details about traditional but never getting old ones.
LOVE IT
on 25 October 2010
A fab book for all those in search of the perfect pie. Loads of regional variations and little anecdotes .
I'm a accomplished amateur pie maker but this book has given me some great new ideas.
The only problem I have is how I'm going to keep below 13 stone with all theses delicious recipes to try.

Feed your pie obsession with this book.
on 29 November 2011
I enjoy cooking and somehow got inspired to have a go at making pies. I followed a few online recipes, but spotted this book in Waterstones and had to have it. The photography, while not amazing, is inspiring enough and there is a great selection of traditional and more unusual regional UK pies.

It isn't just a recipe book, there is plenty of discussion about the history of pies, and about different types of pie, throughout. As well as some good recipes. I have tried a few of the pastry dough recipes at the beginning (because everyone has a different recipe for the perfect shortcrust, or the definitive hot water crust) and to be fair these do work pretty well. I am not going to give it five stars though, because I have since found a book called Pie Minister, which on reflection is better than this one.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2011
I don't know enough about pie-making. There, I have said it. And I need to increase my knowledge base.

This book has got plenty of content - a good historical introduction to pies, puddings, pasties and more, some good info about the current state of the UK pie world - leading bakers, markets, shops and trends. There are more than enough recipes to keep even the busiest cook in the kitchen for weeks.

So why 4 stars rather than 5? I was hoping, I guess, for a few more tips and hints on how to perfect your pie. Soggy bottoms are not what you want - neither are burnt tops. Perhaps it was naive of me to hope for some technique guides to help the novice baker get the best out of the pastry and filling.

I am sure that I will return to this book time and time again - but it is not the definitive book on pies. Close though - and well worth a look.
on 14 June 2013
excellent value for money!..filled with tips and humour ...and plenty of variety with good vegetarian options. A good addition to the library!
on 10 February 2013
Needed a comprehensive book on pies ...... Perfect balance of information & pictures.
Easy to follow recipes with great results.
on 20 September 2013
covers all I will ever need with regard to pie cooking,a great cook book in every sense of the word
on 2 January 2015
Very good, has loads of recipes just as expected at a very reasonable price. Very pleased.