Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 1 March 2002
I teach Computing at GCE AS/A Level and regularly like to review what books we are using as our course text.
The theoretical concepts of this book cannot be faulted, it's just that the layout is so uninspired and unattractive. I have previous versions and some chapter are almost word for word exact.
Many of the screen shots used to illustrate GUIs show the GEM OS! This is hardly up to date considering the number of systems that could have been used. Also many of the (black and white) photos are strictly 1970 and 1980s.
If you want a book that covers the new GCE specifications, then go for Bradley.
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2004
Although it is not to up-to-date as it implies, this is very good book for descriptions and explanations for those who find other text books in this area too complicated.
I found it very useful as a supplementary book which I came back to again and again.
on 11 February 2002
This book is full of facts, it is useful, as a supplementary text book. It is legendary in it's covering of stuff like floating point form, and other binary arithmetic such as BCD(Binary coded decimal) arithmetic. You certainly cannot use this book alone though, as it doesn't cover a syllabus like A level, it's too general for that. It's very definitive.

BUT BEWARE, on one page there is a mistake where it puts the MBR in main memory and doesn't mention that the MBR and MDR are the same thing. (I am talking about registers in the processor) But otherwise it's fairly authoritative.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2000
There aren't many books which are as good as this. It's just great! Finding the reference book you need is hard and can be a difficult choice for a student when money is scarce. The choice of which one is write for me? Is a constant worry! However, students in the I.T. field (Software Engineering or Computer Science), this is a worth-while investment, which should pay off. A must, - covers most topics in detail.
on 6 April 2015
Still as good and accurate as it ever was. Perfect for teaching/studying 'A' level.