5.0 out of 5 stars Good guidebook covering the whole of scotland
Published on 21 Aug 2009 by Mr. J. Mackechnie-jarvis

1.0 out of 5 stars I did not like this book
We recently went on holiday took Scotland and took this book out of the library as a guide. We tried two walks from the book. We walked in fair weather and with the appropriate maps, a compass and proper equipment. We would not call ourselves "Munro baggers" but we have walked a fair bit.

The descriptions were a bit vague and when you have poor visibility as we...
Published on 11 July 2007 by A. J. Trickett

5.0 out of 5 stars Good guidebook covering the whole of scotland, 21 Aug 2009
This review is from: Scottish Highlands (Hillwalking Guide) (Paperback)
Having read the previous review I felt I should add a different view of this book. I have walked a number of the walks in this book and indeed it was the book I used when I walked up my first Munro. With the aid of a map I had no problem with any of the descriptions and did not find them vague at all. The other good thing about this book is that rather than covering an area within the highlands it covers the whole of the highlands and gives a number of walks for each region. The grading system seems similar to that used in the Cicerone guides and the timings are quite accurate. I would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy hillwalking, 18 Aug 2011
This review is from: Scottish Highlands (Hillwalking Guide) (Paperback)
This is a great book - a wonderful enhancement to Scottish hillwalking. I've now used it in winter and summer; having bought two guides, this one is outstandingly the better. The author stresses all the essential precautions, equipment etc and then give extraordinarily detailed routes, with the bonus of snippets of information on the views/rock formations you might see on the way. I loved the explanation of the gaelic words (and pronunciation!)It adds so much to the experience. This book is for those who want to learn and enjoy the hills, and not just tick off summits.

1.0 out of 5 stars I did not like this book, 11 July 2007
A. J. Trickett "ajt" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scottish Highlands (Hillwalking Guide) (Paperback)

The descriptions were a bit vague and when you have poor visibility as we did one walk it was downright useless. The walks need to have a lot more detail and to be checked for typos and errors unless you want to get seriously lost.

The book has history, banter and some nice ideas in it, but do not under any circumstances rely on the book alone, get a decent scale map and compass a GPS unit, and do a google search to corroborate the route...

Scottish Highlands (Hillwalking Guide)
Scottish Highlands (Hillwalking Guide) by Jim Manthorpe (Paperback - 6 July 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01