Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Learn more Learn More Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime

on 11 January 2006
A comprehensive and up to date guide to a journey on the Trans Siberian Railway. Beginning with planning your journey, timetables, how to buy tickets, prices, booking and visas, route planning and what to take. There's a useful background reading list with internet resources, practical information about food and drink, money, health, and safety tips from other travellers. There are good maps with time zones marked, lovely colour photographs, historical facts, city guides and information about crossing the borders. An excellent book which should be read thoroughly before embarking on the journey then kept in your back pocket throughout.
on 27 June 2000
Our trip wouldn't have been the same without it. Hundreds of useful and practical tips on what to take, where to stop, and (short) guides to cities en route. The history of the line lends colour to the 5-day stretch across Siberia, but the book comes into its own with the large section on what you see from the window, by kilometre (posts along the track tell you how far you are from Moscow). If you take the train, you'll miss a lot without it.
on 20 February 2001
Excellent book! There are lots of subjects you can read about and there are many ways to write about it. Hence you will own books that aren't that great after all, but not this time! Not often you read a book like the Trans-Siberian Express Handbook that is this comprehensive and gives you all the leads you need to do your travel research. Information including timetables, foreign phrases, what to see, what to do, what not to do etc. For example the author advises to bring a squash ball to stuff the sink with, when bathing during the train trip. Also take a peace of cleaning cloth when you prefer to see through the window. If you like to take photographs from the train make sure you take some high speed asa400. Don't forget the kilometer-by-kilometer route guide included in the handbook. I find this book one of the most useful travel guides and reference books in general I have come across to since quite a long time. Get it when you're planning your trip on board of world's greatest rail journey, The Trans-Siberian Express!
on 7 May 2008
If you are planning to take a trip on the Trans-Siberian, Trans-Mongolian or Trans-Manchurian railway, I URGE you to purchase this book! I cannot express how invaluable this book was to me during my trip.

The book contains a wealth of important information. It helps you to book your trip with suggestions of companies to go through as well as informing you of any complications that may arise such as visas, vaccinations. It has a stop-by-stop guide of the entire length of the railway for all 3 journies as well as kilometre markings and places of interest along the route outside of stops, for photo opportunities and such.

Inside of stops, for the bigger towns along the way it contains a map (very valuable) marking out places of interest such as hotels, Internet cafes, restaurants and places to see. For each place listed it even contains a small review of it and a rough price guide. Such minute detail is astounding and helps you to pick the best choice given your budget.

Throughout the book tips are given from the writers and also from travellers themselves who have submitted advice related to your journey, from warning you of for dodgy areas to train etiquette. The history of the Trans-Siberian Railway is included which makes for an interesting read and it also contains accurate (at least for the ones I went on) train time tables for each individual stop along the way.

I thoroughly reccomend this book to anyone taking a journey on the Trans-Siberian Railway.
on 25 November 2001
I took this book with me when I travelled on the Trans Siberian last year. It really gives a mile-by-mile accurate and detailed of the route. There are also some invaluable tips + a description of some of the major cities you pass + a history of Russia and the raildroad.
on 9 May 2010
If you only have room for one book in your bag on your Trans-Siberian travel, take this one!

The book is packed with useful information about the trains, where to buy tickets and how, what to expect from days and days of train travel through Russia - and almost best of all there is an introduction to every single little village or landmark that you pass on your way. Every description is garnished with the kilometre mark so you can keep an eye out for crossing the Volga, the obelisk on the border between Europe and Asia and the many other interesting sights along the way.

We hardly took our Lonely Planet guide out of the bag during our six week long travel from Moscow to Vladivostok and back again, but the Trailblazer guide was used every single day. Our only regret was not buying the Trailblazer guide to BAM before riding that part of the railway.

Whatever you do don't leave home without this book, if you are about to embark on the Trans-Siberian Railway!
on 19 August 2012
I bought another of these for a friend who wants to do the train ride. It's the most comprehensive for planning your journey. It includes all 4 lines starting in St. Petersberg ending in Vladivostock and Beijing including the BAM line. If you're thinking of riding this train, look no further.
on 11 August 2006
This guide was much better than the the Lonely Planet, both in its mile-by-mile descriptions and mini-maps and in its historical background content.

We found this book more useful on the train than off it though, as the city guides could have had a bit more information about what was interesting to do.

Don't miss the Trubetskoy house in Irkutsk - the old ladies there are charming and very enthusiastic!
on 31 December 2010
My partner and I recently went on a Trans-Mongolian trip from East to West, and for the whole duration of the journey this book didn't leave our sides.

This wonderful book contains every last scrap of information we needed throughout the trip, and proved equally useful when we were in the planning and packing stages of the experience. It was truly a godsend and I don't think we would've had half as good a trip without it - we referred to it constantly, both to find out important information and to satisfy mini travel curiosities.

Without doubt the most well thumbed travel book I own, it's an absolute must for anyone embarking on a Trans Siberian trip - and most people we met along the way agreed with us on this wholeheartedly!
on 20 July 2010
We have recently returned from our adventures on the Trans Siberian railway and the Handbook was really brilliant, everyone on the train had a copy! and we can't imagine doing the trip without it, it was perfect in every way.