5.0 out of 5 stars The best of it's kind

was a gift request
Published 11 months ago by Zozbarn

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of it's kind, 5 Feb 2009
J. Spooner "Brigantia" (Middle O' Nowhere, Norfolk,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hedgerow Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies (Hardcover)
This is such a useful book. It offers sound, practical advice on using some of the most common wayside plants found in the UK along with full botanical information, clear photographs and interesting folklore associated with each plant. For each herb included there is a list of ailments which might benefit from it's use and the appropriate form of preparation to use. Beginners to herbalism would certainly find this a very interesting and inspiring book to have on hand while more advanced herbalist might find the list of herbs included rather limiting although I suspect they might find some of the recipes both novel and useful.
Definately recommended for all herbalists both new and advanced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 6 Jun 2009
Ms. A. McCall "AMcCall" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Excellent book - extremely helpful and covers some of the folklore that seems to be missing from everyday life now. Have tried some of the rememdies and they have worked brilliantly. Wholeheartedly recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn or know more about medicine that is just so readily available!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 31 Aug 2009
anne robins - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book written by an experienced and qualified herbalist. It's not just another book about traditional or theoretical uses - the author has incorporated personal anecdotes and her actual experiences of using the herbs. She also includes practical tips on how to harvest and process the plant material. It is interesting equally for folks who have had little contact with the herbal world and also lots of titbits for those with experience. I'm a herbalist myself - I have loads of herb books in my library - I'd definitely recommend this one for anyone who wishes to take responsibility for health back into their own hands.
The world we live in, with so much disinformation from the vested interests of Big Pharma, the disempowering propaganda of the orthodox medical profession, and the spectre of the evil Codex alimentarius looming on the horizon (if you've not heard of this please look into it and act to oppose this NOW - its THE most important piece of legislation affecting our lives right now and its being brought in under the radar by powerful vested interests). This book brings the information we need to take back control of our health safely and without the need to resort to dangerous chemicals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, fascinating book, 6 Jan 2010
Eliza (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by my herbal medicine tutor, and it's been an excellent purchase.

Aesthetically, it's just beautiful - full of clear photos of plant specimens in situ or against a white background to make it easy to see each species' distinguishing features for identification. The page layouts are clear and look good.

The first section provides plentiful descriptions and instructions of ways in which to use collected herbs (tinctures, vinegars, creams poultices and much more). The main body of the book covers 50 different herbs, with several pages dedicated to each herb. Each herb description has a brief column on habitat, distribution, related species and parts used. There is then lots of interesting info on historical use and folklore, medicinal uses and practical recipes you can try yourself.

This is a lovely book for anyone interested in practical herbal medicine. It's a really good starting point for a beginner. My old herbal medicine teacher is fully qualified and also finds it a useful reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 May 2009
Bought this as a reference book and read it cover to cover when I got it. Fascinating, interesting and eminently practical. Will transform your view of dandelions for life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hedgerow drugs!, 31 July 2009
I absolutely love this book, i can't stop picking it up and it just about covers everything. The illustrations along with the informative text is a joy to read, and it makes for easy reading and plant id. A good book for the beginner or more experienced hedgerow hunter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for., 19 Aug 2009
Kate (Herefordshire) - See all my reviews
This is a really easy to follow, great book. It was exactly what I was looking for, a simple, comprehensive guide to hedgerow medicine. I've followed some of the very simple methods for making the tinctures with success. I can't recommend it highly enough, it gives excellent information on the plants and the illnesses they can treat and how. Would love to see a follow-up book for another 50 less common garden/hedgerow herbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and practical introduction to herbal medicine, 2 Feb 2010
Nobody Famous (The West Country, UK) - See all my reviews
I looked through a lot of similar books before buying this one. It is by far the clearest and best written of all those I looked at and I can highly recommend it.

The book covers 50 common British wild plants and gives very easy to follow instructions on how to prepare them and how to use them. The colour photos throughout are attractive and useful although the authors do say that they are not to be used for identification. A proper field guide is needed if you're not sure what you're looking for.

Initially I was concerned that 50 plants would be very limiting but in fact it sets this book apart from those encyclopedias that list 100s of plants without giving enough detail for the beginner. 50 plants is actually quite a lot, when you begin to learn how many different conditions they are useful for.

No previous knowledge or special equipment is required, and so it's very quick and easy to get stuck into using local plants that we will all have access to close to home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Learning, 12 Jun 2012
When I was a boy, my Granny used to walk us for miles through Northumbrian countryside. I remember walking with my brothers along quiet country roads and our Granny would tell us the local names for the trees, flowers and plants, what not to touch, what we can eat and what they are used for. I now do the same with my children and pass this vital information onto the next generation. This book is essential learning for todays generation who seem disconnected to our countryside and the wild as a whole. It has excellent pictures, along with detailed descriptions of the plants and their uses. Best of all it contains information of the plants' history and folklore. The authors love of the subject is clear in the text and overall presentation of this essential book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hedgerow Heaven, 2 Jun 2010
I bought this book after buying the Grow Your Own Drugs dvd and books. It is very accessible, easy to read and understand. It contains a wealth of information on plants and herbs, harvesting, location, and how to use them. What I love most is that although you cannot just lug it around everywhere whilst foraging (you could with a rucksack) and collecting, it is so beautifully illustrated that in no time you will easily recognise the plants you need whilst out and about on our shores, woods, meadows, scrubland and even in many urban areas.
I was diagnosed with a controllable serious illness last year with no actual cure and keep it under control with medications which have all sorts of horrible side effects which eventually could cause organ deterioration. I was suitably alarmed and now have been able to amaze my specialist with rapid recovery and have changed my meds to a much safer and smaller type and dose due to my change in diet and herbal supplements. Many of the recipes have alleviated the side effects and calmed my condition down in a way my meds could not even touch. I am a very sceptical person so if I can be convinced-anyone can. It takes very little effort or skill either.
I have shared this knowledge it presents with the recipes and remedies with work colleagues who are amazed. I have only had the book a short time. It has added even more pleasure to my woodland walks, seaside strolls and given me a new outlook on life with the ability to really appreciate the value and benefits of getting back to nature.I have even discovered new uses for what grows in my garden already.
Buy this, the James wong books and dvd and Richard Mabey's food for free and nature cure if you really want to look after your health and improve your diet for free. I feel like a new woman.
I have never had so much fun either. Now I love to photograph and chart my finds and have my own local guide to my finds and how I have used them
Give it a go, I feel positively evangelical. The least it will do is get you out and about to appreciate the calm and beauty which surrounds us.

Hedgerow Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies
Hedgerow Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies by Matthew Seal (Hardcover - 15 May 2008)