on 28 December 2002
The first chapter of this book had be hooked. It is written in such a way that the narrator is talking to you and knows this is a book (being shown from the 'im finding this chapter very hard'). I must say that this is perhaps the easiest book I have ever read. The language is simple to follow and the sheer enjoyment the prose gave me to dead made this book unputdownable. Except, of course, for the moments in which I had to put the book down becuase I was crying from laughter (which happened several times). I suggest you buy this book NOW. And be prepared for painful sides.
on 22 August 2000
The vast majority of reviews here focus on the comedy elements of this book, but I think they have missed the point somewhat. 'New Boy' isn't fundamentally a comedy, it's the sad tale of a sexually confused adolescent losing his only one true love because he can't come to terms with his emotions and his homosexual tendancies. Ok so it contains a lot of laughs, but can anyone read this book and not feel pity for the main character as he sees others steal Barry away from him? Books such as this and Joseph Heller's 'Catch-22' can all to easily be labelled as plain comedies, but they often have a far more meaningful and inspirational subtext. While I would agree that the ending was somewhat rushed, and I wish it turned out the other way too, life isn't always like that, and if you will pardon the phrase, s**t happens! I admire Sutcliffe in a way for creating a slighty shocking, non-sentimental ending, but he really should have used more pages.
on 2 August 2000
Totally brilliant! I read and loved the 'Love Hexagon' but somehow this surpasses it - it is more unusual. It may be set in a boys school, revolving around spotty adolescents discovering their sexuality but it's a book for everyone - whatever their age - because it is simply so hysterical. The humour is wicked, sometimes nasty, and neverending, often filthy (hilarious jokes on wanking into a milk bottle). The observations about life in a boys school are spot-on. The only let-down is that, unlike 'The Catcher in the Rye', there are no moving passages. It's too cynical for that. It also means it leaves you with a slightly empty feeling - as if Sutcliffe was far too afraid of approaching anything close to sentiment - or anything basically touching. But it's so funny, it doesn't matter - you will be in stitches!
on 17 November 2001
Ok, when I read this book I really didn't get what I was expecting. In my opinion, the book is not about Mark's relationship with Barry, but about his last two years at school. The relationship between them certainly plays a part, but it is overshadowed by Mark's school life and experiences. Towards the end the relationship is the key theme, but I literally mean the last twenty pages. Whilst the book has been leading up to this turning point, it has only done so with the brief paragraph or sentance.
Don't get me wrong, this is an alright book, and i did find myself laughing out loud, but don't buy this book thinking it's going to be about the relationship between two boys, because its not...
on 24 February 2004
The politically incorrect thoughts of a sixth form Jewish Adrian Mole.
Ok, the narrator is a bit simpleminded sometimes and may not at all time be the best of choice as a friend but this makes a very good, funny, entertaining story; the end being at times touching.
It is not a gay novel, the caracter is just confused about is sexual identity, this is not the typical coming out story you could expect but all the better.
A rather unique book, I was very pleasantly surprised.
on 26 November 2000
I really enjoyed this novel and it was read in a day. That is a good sign as I wanted to keep going with this book. My only wish is that it had been longer although it still would have to end eventually. Every so often I read a book and its one I never want to end because I have enjoyed it so much. This is one of those books. I laughed out loud several times while reading it and thought the story was wonderfully told. On the strenght of reading this novel I have now purchased Sutcliffe's two other novels. He is truly a writer with a true gift for storytelling. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a laugh. Our main character is a strange but likeable guy and it was a relief to read about someone more paranoid than me...this book is more than worth the money. Be brave take a risk and read this you won't be disappointed (well some of you might but only if you've lost your sense of humour)
on 7 January 1999
I couldn't decide if I liked this book because I attended the same school as Sutcliffe, or just because it was simply an excellent book. It is written in an easy-to-read unpretentious style, and is short enough to read in an afternoon. He addresses most of the issues that concern adolescents, from sexual angst to pushy parents, and does so via the writer's relationship with new boy Barry. Well-recommended, but once again, perhaps I only enjoyed the book because it was a nostalgic trip back to school.
on 8 March 2014
This is the first a few novels by this author I have read and this is by far the best and will appeal to those who like an accurate portrayal of adolescence angst along with some absolutely hilarious incidents. Sutcliffe handles both dialogue and humour expertly.
on 18 April 2013
The reader can race through this book, admiring the writer's wit and sharp observance of life in a secondary school. Having taught for a number of years, I could certainly see the characters, both boys and teachers, though I think they are rather thinly drawn. There are issues raised which could have been examined more deeply but overall, as an entertaining couple of hours, it does the job.
on 20 June 2013
Sorry, I really wanted the book to be a HEA but hime walzting off into the sunset with some other dude will the other guy stands watching......OMG !!! Then he's have'n a good ole reflect.....no, no, no. There are much better m/m romance books out there. Try Evangeline Anderson. Save yourself some cash on this.