on 26 April 2004
My mother has just brought a some land and house to renovate into Gites inFrance and I brought this to help her with the french translation forbuying / renovating terms. I laughed out loud when it arrived as it is asmall A5 sized booklet of about 50 pages of translation only.
A few words are useful, but anyone who is serious about buying orrenovating in France, splash out some more and buy: 'Concise Dictionary ofHouse Building Terms' French-English, English-French' BY: Alan S.Lindsey. I brought this instead for my mum and it is very good.
It is the same thing, but a lot larger. It's £27 (ouch!) but well worthit for the serious buyer / restorer.
on 3 April 2004
This will be the first book I have ever returned to Amazon, and I have been buying a lot of books from them for many years. I laughed when I opened the package and saw it, I cannot believe someone has the audacity to charge money for this.
Bascially this is a pamphlet of 28 pages of A4 paper folded over and stapled together. I would describe the quality as a stapled together school photocopy. In my opinion all someone has done is transcribe property terms from a dictionary to a small document. Now arguably this might save you a bit of time, however personally I think you are better buying a dictionary and writing down the terms as you need them, as this is hardly portable (unless you have very large pockets).
So save your money, do not buy this, instead go for a standard dictionary. Unless that is of course they drop the price to 99p and sell at the school fete.
on 12 March 2003
There is definately a trend at the moment for buying and renovating French properties and a good choice of books that can help with various aspects of this.
No matter how good your command of the French language there are technical terms you are not likely to come across on a regular basis and this book provides them all.
This is a no frills no nonense DIY glossary of terminology, parts and accessories. Stick it in your pocket and toddle off to the bricolage secure in the knowledge that you can ask for exactly what you want.
on 7 March 2016
Super book, super condition better than it said on the tin,,,, will use again