4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective.
I learnt harmonisation of a Bach chorale when I did my A-Levels in 1997-1999. I recently had an interview for a place on a PGCE course, and so had to brush up on this skill.

Published on 11 Mar. 2009 by Mr. A. J. Lawrence

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the worst book ever...
This is a very thin book (actually two very, very thin books put together) that covers things in an overly simplistic way with no real depth. The book is not without merit, but there are far better resources out there for this sort of thing (for example, check out Four Part Harmony by Classroom Resources which is considerably better at explaining what you need to know).
Published on 28 Nov. 2011 by Little Endian

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective., 11 Mar. 2009
Mr. A. J. Lawrence (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bach: Chorale Harmonization and Instrumental Counterpoint (Paperback)

For me, this book is pitched just right, giving helpful tips and reminding me of the main rules of harmonisation. Any more in depth and I would have been swamped, and probably wouldn't have finished it. There are also a number of harmonisation exercises that, to be honest, I didn't do, but could be helpful to people who don't have their own harmonising exercises to hand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the worst book ever..., 28 Nov. 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but could do with more depth, 1 Nov. 2012
This works as a basic introduction to Bach chorales that will point you in the right direction from scratch, but I agree with the other reviewers who point out that there is a lack of depth - certainly it would benefit from more discussion of harmonic resource, and the inclusion of more musical examples to illustrate this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and informative, 5 May 2014
This little book is most helpful in understanding Bach chorale harmony. The section on counterpoint is also most helpful. It's a shame that this volume goes out of print so often.

5.0 out of 5 stars great quality. I couldn't be happier, 23 April 2015
Quick delivery, great quality. I couldn't be happier.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointment, 17 Nov. 2006
Dr. Douglas G. Corr "Diapason" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I thought the idea and outline of the book had good potential. But to cover harmonic resource in 2 sides is rather a joke - this is typical of the light weight of the section on chorale harmonisation - it takes much longer to read the daily newspaper.

Bach: Chorale Harmonization and Instrumental Counterpoint
Bach: Chorale Harmonization and Instrumental Counterpoint by Malcolm Boyd (Paperback - 18 Dec. 1999)
Used & New from: £8.02