5.0 out of 5 stars From Traditional To Toxic., 30 July 2013
heretic666 (High Dudgeon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Novelty Teapots: 500 Years of Art and Design (Hardcover)
Full colour on all pages makes this a fun book on teapots. For serious collectors there is no substitute for the volumes by Berthoud and the Norwich Castle collection.
Obviously starting with china and japan, then europe as in Meissen before embarking on english wares. The illustrations are largely from the Bramah collection so the same old teapots are not shown ad nauseam.
The antique examples only take up half the book before we have a large display of modern potters works. Quirky, unusual or just plain weird but seldom boring. the last quarter of the book is mainly the modern collectable type.
This is just before the term collectable became toxic. By toxic I mean teapots that are crafted to target the collector without any real merit or quality. Mostly from the Phillipines and south east asia some are not even dishwasher proof but what takes the biscuit for me is reading underneath that they should not be used with hot water. Obviously I tried one with hot water and the paint fell off.
Consider this a fun guide for the teapot enthusiast not obsessed with antiques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Delighted !!!!!, 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: Novelty Teapots: 500 Years of Art and Design (Hardcover)
Frankly,I cannot believe my luck. I had been to several websites regarding this book by Edward Bramah,but the prices quoted,plus the postage charges were simply too prohibitive for me. But here at AMAZON I have been able to acquire this book at a price well within my budget and with an extremely reasonable postage charge.
The book itself is a fabulous reference work with the most beautiful coloured illustrations throughout the book. the quality of the paper is superb,and the condition of the book is outstanding. And yet,this was sold as a 'non-new' book !!!
This is a must for all collectors of Novelty Teapots,and I can understand why so many professional vendors of teapots cite this book over and over again. And I must add a word about the seller from whom I purchased this book (via Amazon of course). The book was superbly packed;a friendly note inside,and a complimentary bookmark. And,I ordered it late on a Friday morning,and I received it before 9:am the following morning. That is outstanding servive by any standard !!
All I can say,is go on,treat yourself,buy this book and look forward to countless hours of sheer pleasure. I got my copy from: booksonlinebrighton (via Amazon),and I will certainly be buying more books from this seller in the future...

ARRAY(0xa6b55864)

Novelty Teapots: 500 Years of Art and Design
Novelty Teapots: 500 Years of Art and Design by Edward Bramah (Hardcover - 31 Oct 2003)
Used & New from: 20.17