5.0 out of 5 stars Highly appreciated, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: Location Guidebook (Paperback)
The book was a birthday gift to my son, an avid Tolkien fan, who is going to spend six months in New Zealand, visiting filming locations of LOTR and other sights of interest. He is very enthusiastic about the book and thinks that it is going to be very useful and helpful. In combination with the road atlas of NZ or a smart phone, it'll make the trip much easier. The only thing he misses is a map of New Zealand with all the locations clearly marked. For someone not going to NZ but being at least modestly interested in LOTR, it is simply a good read and the pictures are great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Going to NZ later in the year, 22 May 2012
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: Location Guidebook (Paperback)
We are going to New Zealand in October/November as a Honeymoon, so thought we'd get this book ahead of time to have a bit of a look to see if we were going near anywhere we could make a slight detour to.

I have been flicking through it this evening and my initial thoughts are:
1. The photography is excellent - including some with and without the digitally enhanced elements (ie the mountains with Minas Tirith in place and the mountains as they look normally) - so you do get an impression for what you might see.
2. There's some interesting info about finding the locations, the filming and being extras etc
3. There's info about where it is (inc GPS coords for specific exact locations), what the nearest towns are, how to find out more and where to stay/eat - if relevant.

My main criticisms are - there's not really enough cross-referencing in terms of page numbers (ie p31 has the "eight essential locations" but doesn't tell you which pages to find out more) and the index is all single pages even when there are ranges - this makes it tricky to identify the "main" instance from "it's mentioned on the page". Neither of these are over-come-able but I am sat here with a pencil jotting a few page references in for myself (but then I work in publishing so maybe that has something to do with it!) Also, more comprehensive maps of locations would be useful - they are there zoomed in, but when you don't know the local geography very well it's tricky to judge where they are.

I've not been or used it there yet though, so cannot comment on that aspect yet. But overall it looks like it'll make interesting reading - we just need to compare it to our itinerary!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lord of the rings location guidebook, 13 Sep 2013
Mrs. Jessie Campbell "catbluerome" (dorset , England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: Location Guidebook (Paperback)
The location book I found very interesting and it was very nice to read about the locations in which the film was made
as you read the book you also visualised the part of the film that the location was used for

4.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular Pictures, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: Location Guidebook (Paperback)
When I visit New Zealand in a couple of months I just hope the real thing lives up to the photographs!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a LOTR fan it's a must, 2 May 2013
D. Marsh (Epson, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: Location Guidebook (Paperback)
This book was a boon for our NZ trek. But worth the read even if you don't leave your armchair

5.0 out of 5 stars brought back memorys, 17 Sep 2013
G. W. Chater - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: Location Guidebook (Paperback)
just over three years ago we were in NEW ZEALAND for almost a month and saw a lot of the locations used in THE LORD OF THE RINGS

The Lord of the Rings: Location Guidebook
The Lord of the Rings: Location Guidebook by Ian Brodie (Paperback - 15 Nov 2011)
Out of stock