on 1 June 2007
After I received my copy of this book, I was blown away by how good it is!
The illustrations are absolutely beautiful. The warblers in particular are so life-like they are looking straight into your eyes warily, seemingly ready to fly off the pages at any moment!
Editing is well done, with clear range maps and all the info you might need about the birds found on the pages right opposite the colour pages where each species is illustrated.
Before these species accounts, the book has an excellent chapter on birdwatching in the region, with detailed information on the key sites of every single country covered, even accompanied by good maps of every island worth visiting. Such a good combination of a field guide and a site guide is very rare indeed.
All in all: perfect!
Whether you are thinking of visiting several or only one of the the countries covered here, this is THE book to take.
on 2 April 1999
I bought this book prior to my visit to the Seychelles in October 1998, and found it an excellent field guide - even though the area covered is much larger than the Seychelles. The illustrations seem a little 'basic' at times, but were adequate for field IDs where there were no complications. The narrative, conveniently placed opposite the illustrations, is also adequate for confirming observations. For Madagascar, I would think this to be an excellent guide, although I cannot say this from experience.
on 10 March 2010
Going to a new area as a naturalist is always exciting, but there is also the problem that the majority of species will be unfamiliar and a good field guide is therefore essential. My personal preference is for paintings rather than photos, as I find artists can bring out identification details in their plates to a greater extent than is usually achieveable in a photo.

In this guide the plates are paintings, simply and beautifully done. Maps and texts are on the facing page opposite the plates, the ideal arrangement. I was pleased with the illustrations of species I am already familiar with, and excited by the pictures of species that are new to me. The book is small enough, and light enough, to find a space in the luggage of anyone visiting these islands.
on 8 April 2013
I took this guide with me on a 4 week trip to Madagascar and found it a great help in IDing the many birds I saw. It's a good book to use and not too big to carry along. The illustrated table of contents is a great help for quick access.

One note though: on a number plates some of the numbers on the text page don't match all numbers with the illustrations. It's limited to a handful species only, and careful reading of the text brings out the mismatches, but it gives the book a rushed feel and doesn't inspire 100% confidence in the contents when one only finds out about this in the field. A shame. Hence only 4 out of 5 stars.
on 23 May 2013
A good little field guide that seems to cover all of the species in this area...well, almost. I bought this book as I was going on holiday to Mauritius, and it is literally the ONLY field guide that covers the Indian Ocean islands. It covers Madagascar very extensively, but I did see a couple of birds whilst on Mauritius that weren't in the book. Still though, it is pretty good and covers the vast majority of species out that way. The drawings are pretty accurate too. Definitely worth it if you're heading out that way!
on 24 August 2007
Having lived in both Madagascar and Mauritius and also visited The Seychelles and La Reunion , I can thoroughly recommend this guide. The guide is particularly useful in Madagascar as it shows the area the birds are to be found.It was always with me on my birding expeditions.
on 5 September 2012
The Birds of the Indian Ocean ... is the best l could find for this area and much better than the photographic guide to the Birds of Madagascar.
on 8 November 2011
I borrowed a copy of this book while in Madagascar. I already had the SASOL guide to Birds of Southern Africa but I discovered that it was not really suitable. This one was perfect. The illustrations are pretty well spot on and regognition was easy. On my return, I bought it for my back reference to my photos and it has proved to be really useful.
on 25 June 2016
The book itself looks like it is useful and informative. Unfortunately, though described as New, someone had conveniently written notes on a number of pages and marked birds that had been seen. As such it was returned and a brand new copy ordered from another seller.
on 19 March 2010
Great news that this excellent field guide is back in print. High quality illustrations are accompanied by helpful text highlighting the essential field recognition characteristics......a must for a trip to Madagascar and its surrounding islands